Author Topic: Francis Stevens (1872-1956) - repair & restore please  (Read 813 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Stevens (1872-1956) - repair & restore please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
The B&W clean up is great on it's own but then the coloured version is brilliant Pat.

So much delicate detail, the uniforms, the instruments, the drum is incredible, the net curtains..... the more I look the more I see. Did you deliberately bring out Frances' face in a slightly different colour to make him stand out?

I hope you are pleased with the result of your labours - I'm lost for words!

Thank you so much
Keith  :D :D

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Keith, so pleased you like the results. I think colour brings out so many unseen things.
I actually did all the faces at one time, so it's amazing how many shades there are, but Frances' face came out making him look anemic, so I did add a bit more colour to him, but as you say it does make him stand out a bit from the others.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit late to this 'restore' party and I have nothing to add to the excellent restores already contributed.

I've played (sax) in Wood+Brass Bands and (for the last 10 years) in Big Bands. I read about the history of bands on Wikipedia, etc. but seeing 100+ year old photos of people playing exactly the same brass instruments as we now play really brings home the 'local band' tradition that continues to this day. Wonderful photo and wonderful restores!

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit late to this 'restore' party and I have nothing to add to the excellent restores already contributed.

I've played (sax) in Wood+Brass Bands and (for the last 10 years) in Big Bands. I read about the history of bands on Wikipedia, etc. but seeing 100+ year old photos of people playing exactly the same brass instruments as we now play really brings home the 'local band' tradition that continues to this day. Wonderful photo and wonderful restores!

I agree Mike the photo is a great piece of social history. I was lucky to get it from a cousin in Canada & even luckier to have had all the restores done.

Keith

Mike