Author Topic: Angels on Gravestones  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angels on Gravestones
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I once visited the Church grave yard at Hartburn, Northumberland with family as we have ancestors from this place.  We noticed that quite a few graves had a skull and cross bones on the memorial  We have been told that this meant death by some sort of plague. ???
No a skull & crossbones was simply a reminder of our mortality in other words a memento mori symbol.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria and Guy for the information on the true symbolism of the skull and cross bones.  I will pass this information on to other family members.

This makes sense as there are quite a few graves at Hartburn with this symbol on the memorials -  yet I haven't come across any articles about plague at Hartburn.  It was a local who mentioned 'plant's idea to us.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
This afternoon I went to Earsdon Cemetery in St Alban's Church grounds to research a stone for my family history.

On top of the memorial is a six pointed star and below this is a long inscription starting with the words: 'SACRED TO THE MEMORY' ...

Can anyone let me know what this star symbol might mean?

Thanks in advance of any replies.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Six pointed is the Star of David and also shows the 6 attributes of God ‘power, wisdom, majesty, love, mercy and justice’ - could be a masonic grave from the link Guy gave us RTL
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this very speedy response Sarah.  Much appreciated.   :)

Wow! That is very interesting information.  :) I will have to investigate the Masonic theory further.

This is what I love about family history research - you find one thing out and then this can lead to further avenues of investigation. ;D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
But it's not necessarily a Masonic Symbol  :)

'An equilateral triangle is one of the oldest Christian symbols, the equality of the sides and angles expressing the equality of the persons of the Trinity.
Two interwoven triangles forming a six-pointed star can also be used. This image has a theological message with special reference to the Creation: a six pointed star is an ancient symbol of creation, and using two interlacing triangles expresses the eternal nature of the Trinity'.

'How to read a Church' by Richard Taylor

A six-pointed star can also represent the six days of creation.

Alternatively, the monumental mason might just have thought that a star would look nice at the top of the stone and it might have no significance at all  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this further information, Jen, about what the six point star may symbolise - or not.  I do appreciate that you have taken the time to let me know more. :)

I think this sounds like an interesting book which you have mentioned.  I will have to look out for this one and try to educate myself more regarding Churches.

This thread has made me more interested now on what is on grave stones - not just the inscription.

I have always really liked the Star of David symbol. :)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 07:29 GMT (UK) »
The Star of David is also a symbol of Judeaism.

The identification of the term "Star of David" or "Shield of David" with the hexagram shape dates to the 17th century. The term "Shield of David" is also used in the Siddur (Jewish prayer book) as a title of the God of Israel.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 March 18 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you jaybeinz for your post. :)

I knew that the Star of David is also a symbol of Judeaism but I did not know that this only dates back to the 17th century.  You learn something new every day on here! :)