Author Topic: Albert Price Daniels, 23831, Sergeant, 1st Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is my great-great uncle who died 11.12.1915 and who is remembered in the cemetery of Baghdad.   He was born in 1876 in Churchdown, Gloucestershire.  He enlisted in Rawalpindi, then in India. My question is, was it usual for men to join a regiment so far from their home county, rather than in their own and, if so, what were the possible reasons?  Secondly, why Rawalpindi to enlist? The family have absolutely no connections beyond Glos. so it's a bit of a mystery.  I hope someone with a knowledge of these times will be able to help - thank you 😊

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Price Daniels, 23831, Sergeant, 1st Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Do you have him in the 1911 census? I've had a quick look..but can't locate him.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

On FindMyPast there are a couple of British Army Service records for an Albert Daniels b1875 Churchdown, Gloucestershire & joining up in 1893.

It is therefore quite possible that he then re-enlisted in Rawalpindi as that was perhaps where his previous regiment was at that time. You would need to see the records themselves to be sure though!

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
He was in the militia...then joined the royal Artillery. Discharged in India.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

He was in the militia...then joined the royal Artillery. Discharged in India.

As Gortonboy says above, his service appears to be as follows:

1st Gloucester Artillery Volunteers (Militia)
4th Battalion Gloucester Regiment (Regimental No 5349) 16th Oct 1893 to 1st Dec 1893
Enlisted Royal Artillery 2nd Dec 1893 until 17th Aug 1907 (Regimental No 1158) Was a Sergeant at the time of his discharge.

He was in India from 21st Oct 1896 until 17th Aug 1907.

He extended his period of service twice during this time.

His Gloucester Reg service record is 3 pages long & the Royal Artillery 4 pages.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
You question about the "localness" is answered by his first enlistment into a Gloucestershire militia from which he is persuaded/inveigled/volunteered into the regular Royal Artillery ending up, and staying, in India where, probably at the outbreak of war, he joins up again in Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) title at that time (aka the Green Howards) whose 1st Battalion were stationed at Rawalpindi. 
Although the 1st Battalion stayed in India throughout the war, his medal roll record shows he was attached to the Supply and Transport Corps which was actually part of the Indian Army and units thereof supported the British force in the Mesopotamia campaign, hence his death in Baghdad.

A fine record of service all in all.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a photo record for an Albert Price Daniels in Allahabad in 1912 on the FIBIS web site related to a baptism. 
https://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/simplesearchsummarycat.php?s_id=964&sn=daniels&fn=albert&f=&to=&t=&c=&searchtype=0&tn=1

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Anna99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for all these replies and the research you have done - I would never have known where to have looked.  It is so good to get a clearer picture of Albert's military service; he is commemorated on our village memorial and on a plaque in the local school, along with his nephew who died on The Somme - we always knew much more about his service than Albert's.  Rootschatters are amazing!

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:47 GMT (UK) »
If you felt you wanted to have a photo of him and (presumably) the others at the baptism, the process is here using the details in the link I gave above :
https://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_browse_sources.php?mode=browse_dataset&id=1791&s_id=964&sort=0&st=9330&np=997&tn=29906

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk