Author Topic: Marriage in Chiseldon  (Read 1031 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage in Chiseldon
« on: Friday 16 March 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to check the Parish Registers (or Bishops Transcripts) for Chiseldon for a marriage in 1729?

The marriage was between John Keen and Alathea/Alithea Skinner and was by Licence. The licence states that the marriage was to take place in Chiseldon on 28 October 1729.

However the marriage appears to have taken place in Great Faringdon, Berkshire on that date [according to Familysearch and Findmypast]. I've checked the original PRs for Great Farington and have found the marriage there [although there's no indication that this marriage was by Licence].

Could they have been married in both parished? If so, why?

Matt

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Chiseldon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:47 GMT (UK) »
No sign of the marriage in the Chisledon PRs.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
No sign of the marriage in the Chisledon PRs.

Thanks for checking.

There's definitely a mystery here. The licence was dated the previous day so obviously they were marrying quickly, but why marry in a completely different parish than the one on licence?

Were they hiding something?

Matt

Online ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi MattD30,

The marriage was  28-10-1729 in All Saints church, Faringdon (John Keen & Alethea Skinner) no other details are listed.
I think you'll find the inference is the licence was taken out in Chiseldon & not neccessarily the parish
of marriage. Thats how I have always read it.
The details, in case you don't have them are as follows;
John keen, Barber, Swindon Wilts  to Alethea Skinner of Chiseldon, sp, Bondsman; William Couling, Cricklade, Wilts,  dated 27-10-1729.

(Incidently I also found another marriage by licence for Alithea Skinner, 21, sp, Chiseldon to  Samuel Matthews, 21, (Wid), Swindon, Wilts.  B/man; John May, Chiseldon dated 24-5-1774 - no location mentioned)

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
The transcription from Wilts FHS does say marriage place Chiseldon.  Its possible that its been transcribed incorrectly or when they were uploaded to FindMyPast it was incorrectly indexed as that.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
If, for comparison, we look at an Archdeaconry of Nowich marriage bond from 1733
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-69PS-Y68?i=3&wc=M8VJ-2NL%3A160750101%2C160953901%2C161001801&cc=1824690

we can see that the proposed marriage location is given. However, sometimes the parties married elsewhere (or not at all).
Which may be what has happened with Matt's couple.

Its possible that its been transcribed incorrectly or when they were uploaded to FindMyPast it was incorrectly indexed as that.

It would certainly be good to see the original!

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi MattD30,

The marriage was  28-10-1729 in All Saints church, Faringdon (John Keen & Alethea Skinner) no other details are listed.
I think you'll find the inference is the licence was taken out in Chiseldon & not neccessarily the parish
of marriage. Thats how I have always read it.
The details, in case you don't have them are as follows;
John keen, Barber, Swindon Wilts  to Alethea Skinner of Chiseldon, sp, Bondsman; William Couling, Cricklade, Wilts,  dated 27-10-1729.

(Incidently I also found another marriage by licence for Alithea Skinner, 21, sp, Chiseldon to  Samuel Matthews, 21, (Wid), Swindon, Wilts.  B/man; John May, Chiseldon dated 24-5-1774 - no location mentioned)

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes I think you right about Chiseldon. I wonder why the intended place of marriage isn't stated on the Licence though, it usually is. My only thought here is that they 'intended' to marry in Chiseldon but then married in Great Faringdon.

It will definitely help to see the original licence although I am not sure where this will be help, presumably the Wiltshire Record Office is the best place to start.

I believe that the Alithea Skinner who married Samuel Matthews by licence in 1774 is probably a niece of the Alithea Skinner who married John Keen.

Matt