Author Topic: Are Lincolnshire - Protestant Church records for 1800-1810 available online?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hi I am looking for a Protestant ancestor "James Salter" whom previous family historians have not been able to locate.

He arrived in Australia on the Morley 2 Dec 1829

Religion: Protestant

He first appeared in the Stamford Mercury 30 April 1819 page 3 Column 2 at the quarter sessions for the city of Lincoln on Saturday last .....John Sparrow and James Salter for stealing a hawser rope, the property of James Bartholomew Cuttill.

For some reason (maybe a typo) a previous family historian has his birth as about 1803 but if 21 when he arrived here it would be about 1808.

The name Robert has been passed down through our family so he probably had a sibling named Robert.

Thanks in advance

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
Re: Are Lincolnshire - Protestant Church records for 1800-1810 available online?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Just having a potter about on Ancestry, and there's a lady called Cassandra Chambers in Aus who deems to have a ine that ties up with what you have, but chunks of it look a bit thi on evidence. Might be worth you contacting her, though.

Then there are some other records:
Register for the Prison Hulk Retribution, James Salter (1808) arriving from Lincoln 21/5/1829, transportation for life, but offence was stealing a silver watch (convicted Lincoln, 14/3/1829), disposed of to NSW 27/7/1829.
Convict Indents index (need Worlwide sub to see document) seems to have him arriving at Sydney Cove 2/12/1829
He may also be on the NSW Register of Conditional and Absolute Pardons
He may have married an Elizabeth Farlow
He appears to have died  17/7/1884 still in NSW

Can you get onto Ancestry Worldwide at your local library?

Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are Lincolnshire - Protestant Church records for 1800-1810 available online?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that is our James Salter. The initial post was his first offense.

PRO . Crown minute book which covers Assizes of Lent 1829 (ASSI 1 1/4)
James Salter was the first on Wednesday 18 March, charged with stealing a watch to the value of twenty shillings belonging to a John Grundy at Scampton on 24th Dec 1828

Yes he married Elizabeth Farlow 5 September 1836 at Wilberforce in NSW Australia

So far we can't find him prior to the first offense. We don't know who his parents are or when actually born/christened.

My mum is/was a direct descendant

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Jackpot! (assuming this is him)
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155623740

"James Salter
Birth    1808
England
Death    15 Jul 1884 (aged 75-76)
Wilberforce, Hawkesbury City, New South Wales, Australia
Burial    
Wilberforce Cemetery
Wilberforce, Hawkesbury City, New South Wales, Australia
Plot    Portion:Right Row:14 Plot:6"

"From AustralianRoyalty.com.au:

James Salter, one of 200 convicts transported on the ship Morley, 05 August 1829.
Sentence details: Convicted at Lincoln Assizes for a term of life on 14 March 1829.
Vessel: Morley.
Date of Departure: 05 August 1829.
Place of Arrival: New South Wales."

"
Family Members
Spouse

Elizabeth Farlow Salter

1815–1887 (m. 1836)

Children

James Salter     1836–1917
    William Salter     1838–1923
    Robert James Salter 1841–1929
    George Salter    1843–1852
    Maria Salter Buttsworth   1847–1926
    Henry Salter     1851–1930
    John Salter     1854–1854
    David Salter     1856–1923
    Thomas Jerome Salter  1860–1921"
You'll need access to the Australian records to verify this lot. I've had a closer look at Cassandra's tree and ... weeeelllll... there are some very strange details indeed on there. Nuff said in public.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information but I already have it and have received it from a Salter Family Historian (I am in contact with Cedric Salter and Susan Langham (nee: Downting)) with NSW BDM records attached.

I like to do my own research with information provided as yes some don't add up.

As said,

I am trying to find his family back in England of which we have not been able to locate any information on (including his baptism/christening)

Kind Regards,

Wayne

PS. I don't trust Find a grave as I have had to rectify information on it myself. They had my great grandmother's brother's middle name wrong even though he has a headstone with it on it.

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Yeah that's why I looked more closely at Cassandra's theories. However, she insists that our felonious friend is Ethel James (?!), and that his father, without substantiation, is baptised 2 years before his own birth, in places a couple of hundred miles apart. Further, the evidence of the birth and marriage of our chap's parents comes from the WW1 attestation papers of a(nother) James Salter ... My brain now hurts and I'm going to bed.

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.

Yes family research can do this.

I like to see evidence (until then they are leads) although if, say 3 or more things point to it being the correct person it looks more likely it is the correct lead.

Night

Offline JayNQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Check out familysearch which has

James Salter bp 17 Jun 1806 Lincoln, Samuel Salter & Anne Townhill Salter.

They have a couple of other daughters baptised about this time, when you click on the film no. and search by surname only for this period.

Lincs to the Past, are the online original records for parish records.  Cheers

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 18 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I will check it out.

I have found

James's Salter 1806 St Swithin parents are Samuel Salter and Anne Townhill

also at St Swithin

Robert Salter 25 March 1802 parents Samuel and Jane
Marie Salter 25 July 1801 parents Henry and Elizabeth
Henry Salter 19 Sept 1803 parents Henry and Elizabeth
Anne Salter 29 Nov 1803 parents Samuel and Anne