Author Topic: Elisabeth KOSSATZ (Zimmermann?)  (Read 903 times)

Offline LloydG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elisabeth KOSSATZ (Zimmermann?)
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I’m looking for any information about Elisabeth KOSSATZ who arrived in Capetown South Africa (from Hamburg) 29 Feb 1860 as part of the KAINA family (as her mother had remarried). She was born 9 Feb 1845 in the staunchly Wendish village of Drehnow (near Peitz) and her parents were Johann and Anna (nee SCHLODDER) KOSSATZ.
I have found a Death Notice –
  The death of Elizabeth Zimmerman (nee Kossatz) on 8 Nov 1891, born in Germany Feb 1845, wife of the late William Frederick Zimmermann (1841-1886).
- and suspect this might be ‘my’ Elisabeth, but have been unable to find a marriage record that might confirm this. I need to know if the Zimmermanns can be ruled out if perhaps they were already a married couple before emigrating to SA. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Elisabeth KOSSATZ (Zimmermann?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you downloaded the death notice from familysearch? it might confirm parentage.
MOOC   6/9/288   133   ZIMMERMAN, ELIZABETH. NEE KOSSATZ. DEATH NOTICE.   1891   1891

But sadly does not
Their will is dated 1877 so they were in the Cape then. Given her eldest child is a major at her death I would expect they married some time in the 1860's

MOOC   7/1/475   274   KOSSATZ, ELIZABETH. WIFE OF WILLIAM FREDERICK ZIMMERMAN. WILL.   1877   1877
You can look through the indexes for a marriage at
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1108558?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Once you have a date you can look for a marriage in the following collection:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/244034?availability=Family%20History%20Library

It wont list her parents but maybe they witnessed the marriagw
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual