Author Topic: Who in picture might be my relative Fred Disney?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Who in picture might be my relative Fred Disney?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 March 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Same conclusion.

I would love to restore the second photo...why not put it on the photo board for us to have a play with  ;D
Carol

Thanks Carol for the reply and the offer, i will post the picture. I really appreciate the offer :)
ANDERSON - Berwickshire/Selkirkshire
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 March 18 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello iv426,

I would say the second from left too, except that the parting looks in the wrong place?

I'm curious - where do your Disney's come from?

Sorry IJDisney i forgot to quote you when i replied.
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 March 18 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again to all of you for your help, i really appreciate it.

in case anyone was interested here is one of the articles about the mine disaster.
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi IJDisney, my Disney side came from Kilkenny and Cork i believe originally but William Disney (my line) was a cabinet maker in London, i am not sure what happened to him but his wife (from Cork) ended up in Australia, and from there all the Disney on my line are from Victoria, Australia.

Before that i think they came from Norton Disney Uk then from there went to ireland?

What about your line?

My line are completely unrelated to the Irish/Lincolnshire name. I descend from a 17th Century minister whose original namedmorphed over the decades to Disney.

Can you share with me your details of William Disney? I'm intrigued to find the Irish connection, since Walt Disney's family came from Kilkenny and I have lots of information on his family.

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 March 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi IJDisney, my Disney side came from Kilkenny and Cork i believe originally but William Disney (my line) was a cabinet maker in London, i am not sure what happened to him but his wife (from Cork) ended up in Australia, and from there all the Disney on my line are from Victoria, Australia.

Before that i think they came from Norton Disney Uk then from there went to ireland?

What about your line?

My line are completely unrelated to the Irish/Lincolnshire name. I descend from a 17th Century minister whose original namedmorphed over the decades to Disney.

Can you share with me your details of William Disney? I'm intrigued to find the Irish connection, since Walt Disney's family came from Kilkenny and I have lots of information on his family.

Hi again, IJDisney, the family story that has been passed down to me (which i am still trying to verify) is that originally Robert d’Isigny came over from Normandy with William the Conqueror in 1066.

They lived in Norton Disney and then sometime later a family member supported the wrong side in one of the civil wars or rebellion?? And then either left or were exiled to Ireland???

Sometime before 1819 (when he married in London) he was living in ashby street London (where kings cross station is now) and working as a cabinet maker. i can't seem to find out more information than that except for his marriage and birth of 3 sons with his wife Elizabeth nee crown born in Cork Ireland.

I am not sure what happened to him but Elizabeth and her 3 sons ended up in Australia (I have pretty much all her history and the sons from then to now)

I am not sure who his family was or the exact details on his line and am still researching.
ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER
STUBBS
TUNNOCK
WILKINSON

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 March 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »

Hi again, IJDisney, the family story that has been passed down to me (which i am still trying to verify) is that originally Robert d’Isigny came over from Normandy with William the Conqueror in 1066.

They lived in Norton Disney and then sometime later a family member supported the wrong side in one of the civil wars or rebellion?? And then either left or were exiled to Ireland???

Sometime before 1819 (when he married in London) he was living in ashby street London (where kings cross station is now) and working as a cabinet maker. i can't seem to find out more information than that except for his marriage and birth of 3 sons with his wife Elizabeth nee crown born in Cork Ireland.

I am not sure what happened to him but Elizabeth and her 3 sons ended up in Australia (I have pretty much all her history and the sons from then to now)

I am not sure who his family was or the exact details on his line and am still researching.

That's the popular version of the story.

However....

The Disney at Hastings is variously called Robert or Lambert, but the earliest recorded person with the surname 'Disney' (or one of its variants) known in England is a William Disney in the the mid 12th Century. Whilst his father was called Robert, no one has yet traced a verifiable Disney line back into the 11th Century. William held Norton in Lincolnshire (which became Norton Disney), and it was his descendant, William Disney, who was involved in the Duke of Monmouth Rebellion and executed for High Treason in 1685. This is the source of the legend that all the Disneys then fled to Ireland in fear. However, William's close relatives still stayed on in Lincolnshire unharmed, and Disneys had been in Ireland at least 70 years before this event. Various Disneys are known to have traveled over to Ireland and settled there at various times, so it is not quite as straight forward as the legend suggests.

I have a record for an Elizabeth Disney, aged 37, convicted of stealing in April 1828, and transported for 7 years. It that your ancestor?

Offline lv426

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »

That's the popular version of the story.

However....

The Disney at Hastings is variously called Robert or Lambert, but the earliest recorded person with the surname 'Disney' (or one of its variants) known in England is a William Disney in the the mid 12th Century. Whilst his father was called Robert, no one has yet traced a verifiable Disney line back into the 11th Century. William held Norton in Lincolnshire (which became Norton Disney), and it was his descendant, William Disney, who was involved in the Duke of Monmouth Rebellion and executed for High Treason in 1685. This is the source of the legend that all the Disneys then fled to Ireland in fear. However, William's close relatives still stayed on in Lincolnshire unharmed, and Disneys had been in Ireland at least 70 years before this event. Various Disneys are known to have traveled over to Ireland and settled there at various times, so it is not quite as straight forward as the legend suggests.

I have a record for an Elizabeth Disney, aged 37, convicted of stealing in April 1828, and transported for 7 years. It that your ancestor?

Hi, thanks for that information, it makes interesting reading, as i said i am still researching so it opens up a few more avenues to pursue!!

Yes that is the Elizabeth Disney from my line, she was sent for stealing a bolt of cloth, in the trial she prisoner pleaded distress, i am not sure if that because she/they were poor, William was dead/left/sick etc or some other reason.

She was sent with her children so i took that to mean he wasn't around to take care of them and they had no family close by that could take care of them in London??

thanks again

ARMISTEAD
BENNETT
DARLEY
DEWS -
DISNEY -France/UK
EARLL 
EMOND - Selkirk
FORD
KENNEDY
LEADER