Author Topic: Looking for information John Brackenburn Allan  (Read 3169 times)

Offline casjsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information John Brackenburn Allan
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 07:20 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Charles Seymour Allan was born in Lanarkshire to John Brackenburn Allan.  After emigrating to Australia he changed his surname to Seymour-Allan although we're not entirely certain why.  Born in Lanarkshire, the family moved to Bognor Regis early 1900s.  I am trying to trace Charles' father John if anyone has any information?

Thank you,
Cas

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information John Brackenburn Allan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
There is no birth in the index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk of a Charles Seymour Allan, and there is no marriage of a John Brackenburn Allan in the indexes in Scotland or in England and Wales according to the transcription at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. Nor can I find any Allans born in Scotland in Bognor in the 1911 census.

When was Charles born? When did he emigrate? When you say 'in the early 1900s', do you mean before or after 1911? I see that the Australian press reported a marriage of Charles Seymour-Allan in 1894. Is this your one? What more do you know about these people?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cas

Welcome to RC  :)

The only things I can see so far as possibles are as follows:

There was a John BRACKENRIDGE Allan born in Glasgow c. 1800 to Ebenezer Allan and Mary Brackenridge.

John shows in London in later years and marries there in 1840 to a Margaret Kellar, also from Glasgow. He was a silk mercer by trade and seems to have done well from it. He died in 1868.

From the children they had, there is a Charles born in 1853 in London. As Forfarian asked above, what birth year do you estimate for Charles? He is in Scotland with mother's family in 1871 and with mother in London in 1881 and that is the last ref I can see so far for him in the UK. He showed as an Engineer and Mechanical Manufacturer Practical Engineer (sounds intense!) in his 1881 census entry.

Can't easily see any reference to Seymour in this line so far.

Where does the reference to Bognor Regis come from?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me as well :)

After looking at online trees which list a marriage for Charles to Mary Eveleen Perkins in 1894 in Queensland and Charles dying in Oct 1901 age 44  in Brighton (newspaper notice in Aus)   I wonder if this is the family in 1901 with Charles listed as an Engineer which could tie into the Charles that Monica found  :-\   https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9XJ-9M3

Kay

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
There are numerous shipping entries for a Charles S Allan born c. 1853-4 (London shows in some as a reference) through the 1880s to at least early 1890s. This Charles shows as an 2nd Chief Engineer. A number of the entries are arrivals at Sydney NSW.

Just adding now some links for ref if needed from Family Search. You need to be signed on to view (free to register):

Birth https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2NDT-82F
1861 Census https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M2-JJRR
1881 Census https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q279-FB95

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay. There is the ref to Bognor Regis and Scotland  :-\ I can only see the London born Charles so far...

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a Charles Allan, aged 44, registered in Brighton in 1901, December quarter. No middle name or initial.

Also a birth of Mary Patrick Joseph Charles Allan, male, mother's surname Perkins, in Richmond, Surrey in the June quarter of 1897!

And there's a Mary Jerome, birth registered in Westhampnett in the March quarter of 1899 according to FreeBMD, but not in the GRO index so I don't know if male or female and can't verify the mother's surname.

There was another child, Arthur Henry, born and died in 1896, birth and death registered in Kingston, Surrey.

Noting the use of the name Mary, were they Roman Catholic?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a Charles Allan, aged 44, registered in Brighton in 1901, December quarter. No middle name or initial.

That is his death, Forfarian.

The Sydney Morning Herald had this death notice on 19 November 1901:

....October 1 at Brighton England, after a short illness, Charles Seymour-Allan, aged 44, son of the late J B Allan and son in law of the late Patrick Perkins of Brisbane

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »

Noting the use of the name Mary, were they Roman Catholic?

Charles' wife was Mary Eveline, although in the 1901 she showed under her middle name it seems. The marriage notice from 21 Nov 1894 in Sydney Morning Herald read:

SEYMOUR-ALLAN—PERKINS.—November 21, at St. Stephen's Cathedral, Brisbane, by the Rev. D. Fouhy, Administrator of the Diocese, assisted by the Rev. John McKiernan, Charles, son of the late John Brackenbridge Seymour-Allan, England, to Mary

Monica