Author Topic: Looking for information John Brackenburn Allan  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information John Brackenburn Allan
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 March 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Re Alexander Kellar there is a will  showing under this name dated 1/7/1851 - silk mercer,residing in Saint Andrew's Square Glasgow spouse of Jean Colquhoun or Gray or Kellar widow of Thomas Gray - Type Anti nuptial contract of marriage with spouse and her last will and testament and codicil.

Marriage Alexander Kellar and Jean Colquhoun 19 Sept 1841 in Glasgow.

Alexander himself did not die until 1880 in Hamilton - there is a will and inventory for him on Scotland's People " sometime merchant of Glasgow,afterwards residing in Hamilton d 17/03/1880 at Hamilton, testate.

This marriage notice in the Caledonian Mercury 17 Sept 1840 " In St Bennets Church London on the 2th current by special licence J. B Allan Esq,merchant St Paul's Churchyard, to Miss Margaret Kellar eldest daughter of Alexander Kellar Esq,merchant, St Andrew Square."

London Evening Standard 16 Oct 1849 has this

On the 13th inst at St Paul's Herne Hill John Allan Jun of St Paul's Churchyard to Jane, youngest daughter of Alexander Kellar Esq. of Glasgow.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 March 18 09:43 GMT (UK) »
FreeCEN for 1841 has at St Andrews Square, Glasgow a houshold consisting of Jane Kellar, 11; John Kellar, 6 and Mary Dallas, 20.

1851 has Alexander Kellar, 57, retired silk merchant, born Glasgow, with wife Jane, 60, born Glasgow and a servant.

There's a baptism of John Russell Kellar, son of Alexander Kellar and Jean Cousin, their 8th child, baptised in Barony on 16 October 1835, who would be in his 6th year on the date of the 1841 census. I don't see the first 7 baptisms in the SP indexes, or a marriage of Alexander Kellar to Jean Cousin.

Alexander's death certificate should of course tell you the names of his first wife and his parents, including his mother's maiden surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 March 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
There are the following births

Jean Keelar Parents Alexander Keelar and Jean Cousin 20 /12/ 1829 Barony.

Alexander Keilar Parents Alexander Keilar and Jean Couzin 12 Aug 1818 Barony

Margaret Keillor Parents Alexander Keillor and Jean Cousin 7 March 1822 Barony

Mary Keillor Parents Alexander Keillor and Jean Cousen 12 Aug 1825 Barony

James Keillor Parents Alexander Keillor and Jean Couzen 1 Nov 1823 Barony

Alexander Keillor ParentsAlexander Keillor and Jean Cousin 30 Dec 1827 Barony

Marriage Alexander Keillor and Jean Cousen 9 Nov 1817 Barony.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 March 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I must be doing something wrong.

I searched for baptisms of k*l*r with parent c*s*n, no dates, Lanarkshire. I can see that it wouldn't find the ones with z in them, but I don't understand why it didn't find the others.

But when I repeated the search just now, once with s and once with z, it found 7, and the marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 March 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
1841 census, Double House, Lowndes Terrace, Westminster, household of Mark Collins, draper with numerous staff including John Allan, 15, shopman, born Scotland.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 March 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Perthshire Advertiser 26 Dec 1839 has this death notice

On the morning of the 23rd, Mrs Alex.Kellar, 36, St Andrew Square,after a long and painful illness, which she bore with great fortitude and resignation.

Wonder if this is the death for Jean Cousins - pity the notice does not specify St Andrew Square, Glasgow.

And here is a thing - another marriage notice!

Caledonian Mercury 9 Oct 1843

At Lewisham, county of Kent,  on the 28th ultimo,William Allan,Esq.,of Rotterdam, to Mary Ballantine Kellar,second daughter of Alex.Kellar,Esq.Glasgow.

The actual marriage cert states (marriage was by licence)

William Allan bachelor of full age Merchant - Father Ebenezer Allan Teacher
Mary Balantine Allan Minor Spinster - Father Alexander Allan Gent

Witnesses John Kellar and Margaret Allan.

(Had no reason to look at Dutch records before but if you search for William Allan in Netherlands records on familysearch there are quite a few results).

So quite a few Allan/Kellar connections!

William

Offline wreckmasterjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 February 24 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

I am writing a very small book on the life of two submarine inventors and one of them is Charles Seymour Allan.

While I have found a fair bit of information on him I cannot locate his grave nor any photographs of him, although I do have an image that was from the Illustrated London News that I can publish.

Many thanks

Richard Jones

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 February 24 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I wondered if Charles may have been buried with his mother who died the year before. However, there is no mention of this on her memorial www.findagrave.com/memorial/188192292/margaret-allan

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wreckmasterjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 09 February 24 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I wondered if Charles may have been buried with his mother who died the year before. However, there is no mention of this on her memorial www.findagrave.com/memorial/188192292/margaret-allan

Monica

Thank you for that it certainly gives me a new lead for me to check out!