Author Topic: Looking for information John Brackenburn Allan  (Read 3397 times)

Offline casjsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information John Brackenburn Allan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you for replying.  Mary Eveleen is my great grandmother.  I am a Seymour-Allan also.  I'm looking for information about Charles' parents.
Mary Eveleens's father was Patrick (Paddy) Perkins, founder of XXXX beer and MLA for Aubigny in Queensland in the 1890s.  I have the Perkins down pat since they emigrated to Australia from Tipperary in 1853.  Now trying to find the scots side, the Allans. :)

Cas

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Another time, it's a good idea to tell us everything you already know, so that helpful people don't spend time and effort duplicating what you have already found.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline casjsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  My topic is John Brackenburn Allan though.  He is the person I'm trying to find information on.  :)

Offline casjsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh, my apologies, I'm only new to this forum and I didn't see the first page.  Monica, you've hit the nail on the head about John marrying a Kellar.  A silk merchant?  WOW!  Thank you so much, I will relay this information to my mother who does the research.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:02 GMT (UK) »
John Brackenridge Allan died in Hackney in the December quarter of 1868, aged 68. I don't see a baptism for him (or any siblings), but Ebenezer Allan married Mary Brekenridge in Barony parish on 31 March 1793.

I had a look in some of the Glasgow Post Office directories around 1800, but if Ebenezer is listed, it's not in any of the ones I looked at. Nor does he seem to have left a will.

The 1861 census describes John B Allan as a silk mercer. The 1851 says merchant and gives his and his wife's place of birth as Glasgow. Have failed to find him in 1841.

Have you got a copy of his marriage certificate? The index lists him as John Breckinnage Allan.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline casjsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Monica, re your questions.

Charles Allan is my great grandfather.  He came to Australia somewhere in the 1890s and married my great grandmother Mary Eveleen Perkins in 1895 in St Stephens church in Brisbane (I live near Brisbane now).  Somewhere along the line he changed his name.  I believe he was christened Charles Seymour Allan and we THINK what happened was the newspapers of the time joined his middle name with his surname so he became Charles Seymour-Allan.  He was an engineer and invented an "underwater vessel" something like a submarine.  I am by birth a Seymour-Allan too.  We know Charles and Mary Eveleen traveled from Brisbane to Bognor Regis to visit his parents somewhere between 1895 and 1901.  Charles died before they returned to Brisbane.  Mary Eveleen came back here with two sons,  my grandfather John Gerome, and his brother Patrick, who died as a result of mustard gas in WW1.  Both were born in Bognor Regis.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
That is his death, Forfarian.
Yes. I looked it up after Kay99 said it was in an Australian newspaper.

Offline casjsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, this is news also.  I'm so pleased I found this forum.  I haven't seen Breckinnage before.  Considering the education standards of the time I take spellings with a grain of salt of course.  My mother MAY have a marriage certificate.  It appears from your research that our information of Charles returning to Bognor to visit his parents might be wrong unless his mother was still alive.  We know he was 37 when he married Mary Eveleen in 1895, she was 28.  So he would have been born 1858 which is within the lifetime of John.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
We know Charles and Mary Eveleen traveled from Brisbane to Bognor Regis to visit his parents somewhere between 1895 and 1901.
As his father died in 1868, they may have visited his mother but could not have visited both of his parents.

Mary Eveleen came back here with two sons,  my grandfather John Gerome, and his brother Patrick, who died as a result of mustard gas in WW1.  Both were born in Bognor Regis.
See above. Patrick's birth was registered in Surrey, where his parents were living in 1901. Only Jerome, whose birth was registered as Mary Jerome, was born in Bognor.