Author Topic: Family reunion ... for 4.500 people !  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Family reunion ... for 4.500 people !
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
An article in the (online) Guardian today:
'It could be huge. It could be a nightmare': attempting the largest family reunion in the world

AJ Jacobs tracked down as many distant relations as he could, but would he beat the world record of 4,500?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/17/huge-nightmare-biggest-family-reunion-world-record-attempt
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family reunion ... for 4.500 people !
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
What an amazing story!  What an incredible achievement to discover all those cousins.

Thank you for sharing this incredible story Berlin-Bob!

I have an old Reader's Digest book called 'Explore Your Family's Past'.  On page 46 is the story of Dr Jill Roberts and Wendy Low (Australia) who invited Blayney family descendants in Britain, Australia and Canada, Italy and Majorca to a reunion in Gregynog, Wales on the May Bank holiday, in 1998.  A head-line reads 'One woman's inspiration brings a family together'  Apparently those who converged on Gregynog brought family portraits, photo albums, newspaper cuttings, diaries and even those who could not make it sent photos and life stories!!

I have tried to find an on-line link about this but have been unable to.  Then again I am not one of the best at finding on-line links. :-[

I think in the future this type of thing will be one of the next big things to take off.  What fun to have reunions of many descendants springing up everywhere.

I had the privilege of meeting another descendant not in my immediate family last year.  This was a wonderful experience after three years of correspondence.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Great story...very ambitious but what a buzz  ;D Thanks for sharing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I have just recalled that I have read one of this author's books before.  It was called:

'A Year Of Living Biblically'

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/books/review/Rosin-t.html

This was a book that I enjoyed tremendously.  Very humourous and tongue in cheek.  He attempts to live according to things written about in the Old Testament.  One part which made me laugh was when he stoned (believed) an adulterer in his neighbourhood (gently) with little pebbles.

Perhaps one of his distant cousins may turn out to be Britain's Danny Wallace. ;D  They both seem to have the same tongue in cheek, good-natured sense of humour. :) ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_lBiFZ85d0

Here is A J Jacobs on Youtube talking about his 'Family Tree'  ;D ;D