Author Topic: Married - "with consent of trustee"  (Read 913 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Married - "with consent of trustee"
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
When Mary Ann Hill married Charles Culliford on 18 Dec 1820 in Somerton the register was annotated  " consent of John Perry, her trustee"  ( Free Reg).

Is it reasonable to assume that she was not of "full age" ( i e under 21) and that John Perry was acting in lieu of parents, either absent or dead?

Would a trustee have been appointed officially or would it have been a more informal/ voluntary arrangement? I can find nothing to suggest that bride and trustee were related.

Her age as recorded on censuses varies :- 1851, b c 1805, 1861, b c 1799, 1871, b c 1802.
Free Reg has the following entries:- Mary Ann Hill bapt  6 Oct 1802 Somerton, d/o James and Mary Hill. Mary Hill buried 6 Oct 1802 Somerton. Might this be her, and her mother died in childbirth? I have another instance where a family held a baptism and burial on the same day. I would welcome any observations on this conjecture.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Married - "with consent of trustee"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Given the dates that you've given, it looks as if she was probably  under age. Would her parents have been dead and the trustee have been her guardian?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
It is also possible that she had been left money or property by a relative and this was left “in trust”
to avoid an unsuitable husband getting his hands on it.

Hence the need for the trustee to approve the marriage.

I think it was quite common to create a trust for a female, before the married woman’s property act came into being.

Mike

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looks like Dad James hill died and was buried Somerton 27 Mar 1812 so I'd look for a Will for him.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looks like Dad James hill died and was buried Somerton 27 Mar 1812 so I'd look for a Will for him.

Ciderdrinker

Think I might have found it but the writing is awful. Will return if I find anything of note.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Not sure - this will has him in Withypool which is a distance from Somerton. Will was proved in July 1812. Mentions a brother, John and ? sister Sara and their children. No mention of his children but wife ' for her lifetime'

I think John Hill was executor.  Don't think this is him - maybe brentor boy could give us more info on family.

Gadget

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ciderdrinker

I saw that on Free Reg but he was aged 82 so I thought unlikely to  who I was looking to find.

Unfortunately I know nothing more about the Hill family.

Thanks to all who have contributed their time and comments.