Author Topic: Ellen Caroline Blake, b.31 Dec 1902, Camberwell - what happened?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Caroline Blake, b.31 Dec 1902, Camberwell - what happened?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Good one Tony, I was looking at that one, but had a phone call before I could check it properly. I wonder why she wasn't known to the family?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Son born 1937, Romford district

NB   it looks as though first son probably died in the same quarter of birth (West Ham)

Tony

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Third son possibly still alive living in Berkshire

Tony

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Tony, that's fantastic!  Am sensing more certificates coming on.  ::)

How bizarre.  I wonder what the secret is in all this... ???
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, GRO confirms that 'Ellen C' is Ellen Caroline Jackman, at death...
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Very odd that she wasn't mentioned at all by the family isn't it, especially as your grandad would have been about 14 when she married, so old enough to remember? Her children would have been his nephews and nieces as well.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
It really is.  Like I said, 'Nelly' was always mentioned, but she 'died'.  I think the 1921 census might throw a bit more light on the situation.  I wonder whether she was still at home, or whether she'd left?  Maybe she had found herself pregnant as a teenager and was disowned, so was forced to leave home?  Although from what I know about my Great Grandparents, they were lovely and I don't think that they were the kind of people to do that to one of their children.

Why do these things always come up, when there is no one left to ask?! ::)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Have ordered the marriage certificate for Ellen Caroline and Frederick Thomas Jackman.  Will see what happens when it arrives... :o

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Tony and everyone who had an input on this one.  Ellen C Blake was indeed my Ellen Caroline:

Ellen Caroline Blake (26, spinster) married Frederick Thomas Jackman (29, bachelor) on 7th September 1929 at the Christadelphian Hall, Dakering? Road, Barking.  He was an engine fitter, she was a waitress.  He lived at 129 Humberstone Road, Plaistow.  She, which is even more unbelievable, was living at the family home at 56 Lansdowne Road, East Ham.  His Father was Frederick James Jackman, Bus Driver.  Her father, as expected, was James Rosevear Blake, Sugar Boiler.
Witnesses were J R Blake and A F Jackman.

So, it would seem she was living in the family home at the time of her marriage and her father was probably one of the witnesses to the marriage.

I have more questions than answers now...but thank you for helping me find her!