Author Topic: Web managment needs to change...Help!  (Read 820 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Web managment needs to change...Help!
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
We have for many years had a website for our family history hosted by our isp. Part generated by Family Historian and part by Serif’s Web Plus. We use the Serif Web Resources service to provide response form submission handling and member account management.
Serif have announced that from 31 March 2018 the form submission service will not be available and all their other services will close on 31 August. They do not offer any viable alternatives.
We have a trial version of Quick ‘n Easy but that uses PHP on the server to handle the forms. This seems to be the approach of other website generators. The problem with that is that our isp/host does not support PHP.
Can anyone suggest a way forward?
Thank you
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Web managment needs to change...Help!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I recently needed to look for a new web hosting company, and found the reviews at Trustpilot a useful starting point - see https://uk.trustpilot.com/categories/web_hosting

Most hosting companies have packages which support PHP, and many also offer their own web creation software. There's usually also the option of installing your own applications via an installer such as Softaculous or Installatron.

Each host will have pages with guidance and FAQs, which may answer some of your questions, but I also thought it was a good idea to ask their pre-sales team specific questions to see how well they answered. (One company that others seemed to rate quite highly didn't answer at all, so disappeared from my shortlist.)

From my web hosting experiences over the past few years, I would suggest it is probably better to buy direct from a company running its own servers rather than a smaller reseller outfit. A reseller can change their supplier, and if they don't give you enough warning or information about this, chaos can ensue; also, with some queries, they may need to refer them on to the supplier rather than answering them quickly themselves. You can find a lot about the size of a company from the Companies House website.

There are lots of options out there - my problem was deciding which one to choose.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your interesting reply  I'll take a carefull look at that link it seems to have plenty of food for thought.
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't worry too much about the format of your current files. Website design and hosting has changed a lot over recent years. I don't know the details but Web Plus seems to be a desktop (off-line) program that allows users to design websites, generates the PHP/CSS/HTML codes for that design and enables users to upload the generated codes to a website server. I'm not surprised that it's folded.

These days, most website design takes place on-line. There are various free and paid website services. Wordpress is one of the most popular. Wordpress comes in two flavours: free hosting and paid hosting. Via Wordpress.com you can create a free website (including hosting). It does come with a few restrictions which may or may not be important. Via Wordpress.org, you are completely free to configure Wordpress and include a selection of (very many) plug-ins. The drawback is that you have to pay for hosting the site. Most 'hosting sites' have a 1-click Wordpress script that gives you a 'starter site'. You can then upload your content into different pages.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
You can get free hosting with php support at 000webhost and a few other companies. you could pay 3 UKP per month someone like unlimitedwebhosting and get a free uk domain, php, mysql etc.  It means you don't have to learn Wordpress or put up with its bloat.

Unless you're editing your data online you probably don't need php support - you can just export your data from Family Historian and upload it to any free host. A basic contact form can replace the Serif scripts.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

Until they put someone on support who does the exact reverse to what you ask,
then apologises for the mistake and is unable to correct the problem.
( I have 3x accounts with 1 of those you mention, 1x  has to move )

Why not create pdf(etc) from your local-based free tree and just put pdf's online.
Or
Why not just keep the tree local ( using, say, FREE Legacy v9 or v8 ) ?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).