Author Topic: Identifying parent of Allen Hedley b 1781  (Read 785 times)

Offline Horn8397

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Identifying parent of Allen Hedley b 1781
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying for months to identify the parents of my 3xGt Grandfather Allen Hedley (or perhaps Allan Headley).  He was born about 1781 in Elsdon, (it’s not clear if that is the village/town or the parish) Northumberland, UK,  I have searched on Ancestry, Find My Past and The Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials in the Ancient Parish Church of Elsdon in the County of Northumberland 1672 to 1812 as transcribed by Rev Thomas Stephens, all to no avail. 

I am very new to tracing my ancestry and would be very grateful for any advice on how to overcome this brick wall

Many thanks

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying parent of Allen Hedley b 1781
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
If as you say you have researched on FindMyPast then you will have seen what appears to be an original document for his British Army Service for 1803 to 1825-worth you taking another look if you have not seen it, and his name is spelt as Allen Hedley. Also on FreeREG there is a burial for an Allon Hedley of Elsdon 30/3/1803 at St Cuthbert Church. He was aged 65 years, and also possibly a family member, maybe even his father, but this would need to be checked out further. Perhaps it is in the record you mention you have already checked for the Ancient Parish Church of Elsdon, but for 1803.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Horn8397

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I found the burial record for Allon Hedley and I also searched the Rev Thomas Stephens transcript of Elsdon Parish Records again.  1803 is only mentioned twice and all the Allon Hedley's are in the 1600's. In the document the surname Hedley appears 931 times. The burial record from FreeREG of Allon Hedley in 1803 states the transcript was by a Ron Charlton and the credit is to the Rev Thomas Stephen's.  So I assume there must be another transcript which I shall try and find.  Thanks for pointing that out.

It appears that Allen Hedley's descendants for a couple of generations attended Scotts Church in Woolwich so I am searching to see if Allen Hedley was baptised in the Presbyterian Church which I understand was very strong in Northumberland on the late 1700's

I have a great deal of information on Allen Hedley including: his discharge papers from the Royal Artillery, his marriage to a widow Priscilla Haswell in Trinidad, West Indies, his membership of a masonic lodge and details of his fatal accident in Woolwich Arsenal in 1843.
Thanks for your help it is much appreciated
Regards