Author Topic: Nellie Stevens (1897-1984) - some colour please  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nellie Stevens (1897-1984) - some colour please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Returning to the photo,Keith. 

I think the pic you sent is of the same dress as this one. Dark ribbons/decoration on the sleeves and a slight hint of the dark sash.

Is it Nellie or her brother?

My cousin in Toronto is not sure & neither am I. In the family album 'Nellie' has been written under the photo posted on here but there is nothing marked in the album or on the photo for the other baby image. One photo was taken in Croydon where Nellie was born & the other in Clapham. Frank jnr was born in Wealdstone, 2nd quarter 1899 & their great grandmother had died 3rd quarter 1898. If it is Frank jnr would they have put him in the same mourning outfit as Nellie and if it is Nellie seems a bit odd to have had another photo done of her - it's a mystery  ???

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
PS - must find more about your Canadian Stevens, Keith. They might have links to my lot.
[/quote]

I knew had an ancestor who was a Salvationist & had emigrated with his young family to Toronto in 1904 but really no more than that. Then out of the blue about a month ago I got an email via Ancestry from the adopted son of Brenda Stevens whose grandfather was Francis (Frank) Stevens (the man that Carol thought had a look of Elvis about him!). So now I'm gradually getting contact from more Canadian cousins & finding out about that branch of the family tree - we could be cousins  ;D ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
We could indeed  ;D

Just done a couple of snips - I'm sure they're both Nellie or, her brother is very like her

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
We could indeed  ;D

Just done a couple of snips - I'm sure they're both Nellie or, her brother is very like her

matching philtrums  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes - noticed that and cheeks and eyes. The one that we know as Nellie has longer hair  but they look about the same size in the dress  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes - noticed that and cheeks and eyes. The one that we know as Nellie has longer hair  but they look about the same size in the dress  :-\

There's just something about the other photo that looks more boyish to me but would they have put a boy in a dress??

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
For years we had a little tartan dress that belonged to my father. Boys used to wear dresses until they were breeched in those days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 March 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
For years we had a little tartan dress that belonged to my father. Boys used to wear dresses until they were breeched in those days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

Well, well - thanks for that Gadget - you live & learn  :)