Author Topic: Union Street Caravans  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Flipper66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Union Street Caravans
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I posted on the beginners forum but thought it might be better here as it might be more about the history in an area than particular people.  I'm researching some ancesters who on the 1861 census are living at 'A carravan, Union Street, St Mary Newington Lambeth.' and on 1871 census at 'Union Street Caravans, St Mary Newington.'
I wonder if anyone has any info on a possible caravan site or know of any travellers that may have set up there. It was suggested that 'A Carravan' may have meant they travelled and just happened to be parked there that night but it seems strange that 10 years later they are still there and the description of'Union Street Caravans' on 1871 census sounds like a more permanant setting with more than one caravan. My ancesters that lived there were Coster Mongers and Fish Curers.  Thanks

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Union Street Caravans
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
You could have asked the moderators to move your post rather than start a new one  ;)  :)

Link to other post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=789886.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any info on a possible caravan site or know of any travellers that may have set up there.

You can see a Union Street on this 1879 map. (If it is the correct one?)
http://maps.nls.uk/view/103313045#zoom=5&lat=9820&lon=6456&layers=BT

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi if you look at the originals of both 1861 & 1871 census he is on possibly "Waste Land" or rented land, inbetween No: 7 Union Street and Albion Cottages?
Keyboard86

PS In that same location but transcribed as Albion Cottages? Is a Joshua Fritts/Fretts aged 50 occ Whitesmith in 1851 census.
Census ref HO107/1567/764/54
Also "Caravans" in 1871 could indicate that his family had grown and he needed another, or just where did he store his fish ( Where have you found James Taylor was a "Fish Curer" and not a Fish Hawker or Fishmonger)?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 June 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Flipper, my relatives were also costermongers and fish curers. There were permanent caravan slots in Hooper Street, off Westminster Br Rd, in early mid 1800s so i suspect quite a few in the area. From what i can see they weren't necessarily travellers as we think of today, more like temporary structures that stayed a long time. Did you find out much more?
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady