Author Topic: Help identifying Badges on US Army Uniform  (Read 557 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identifying Badges on US Army Uniform
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hope someone can help with this query. I have attached a photo of my relative who was in the
7th US Infantry Regiment between 1927 - 1936. Prior to that he was a casual with US army in the 4th Air Obs squadron in Hawaii from 1924-1927. He also served in WW1 with the Canadian Army from 1915 - 1919 in the 54th Battalion and the Canadian Army Medical Corp so I am not sure what the badges and ribbons refer to. I am particularly interested in the badge below the ribbons that appear to have a couple of clasps. Please excuse the terminology if it is incorrect. I am afraid I am a bit of a novice with ribbons and badges so any help would be good.
Hope this information will help.
Many thanks in advance.
KK

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying Badges on US Army Uniform
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi KK

The medal ribbons are perhaps likely to be WW1 related given the timeframe of his service.  Some with more knowledge than me may be able to assist.

However the badge with the hanging 'clasps' looks like an expert marksmanship qualification badge and the 'clasps' would have been the weapons he was expert in using.  See photos here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badges_of_the_United_States_Army#/media/File:Armyqual.jpg

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
The first two ribbons look as though they could be the British War Medal and the Victory medal from WW1.  If so, this would suggest that your relative was not posted on active service before 1916 as he does not have the 1914 or 1914-15 Star ribbon).

The third ribbon could be almost anything - there is not enough definition to see shading variations or stripe widths.

Rockford's find is spot on.  Your relative was an expert with two weapons, but I can't make out what they were.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rockford and Phillip

I have checked out the website and yes I agree with you on the badge. I have had my magnifying glass out and the marksman qualification badge fits. Before WW1 I know he was in some sort of rifles group so imagine he may have used this skill later on and the clasp relates to that.

Phillip
Yes, this guy received the British War Medal and the Victory medal. He didn't go to France until Aug 1916. Perhaps we won't ever know what the third ribbon is for unless I can trace a closer relative who knows a little more.
Many thanks
KK

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi KK,

I've come back to this as its annoying me that we don't yet know what the third medal ribbon is.  When you say that he was a 'casual' with the Air Obs Squadron, I wonder if the third one could be an award for reserve/casual service - in the UK, this might be considered as a 'territorial' decoration.

The two identical badges on each lower lapel (in case you don't know) are the unit insignia of the 7th US Infantry, so the photo must be after 1927.  I forgot to mention this yesterday as I focused on the medals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

What was his name?  Have you been able to find a service record or medal card for his WW1 service on the Canadian records site?

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

Best wishes

Rockford

BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the extra information re the uniform. This relatives name is Donald Foster Stevenson and yes I have downloaded his service record. As with so many guys he was underage when he enlisted and at some point this was discovered and he was sent back to the UK and spent most of the time with the Canadian Army Medical Corps. I also have what there is of his US Army service record. Not a lot really due to the loss of so many US records. I put his casual army service record down as being in 4th Air Obs Squadron but it should have been 4th Squadron (Observation). I haven't done too much research on this but have been told they did built airfields specifically Wheeler Field.
It is possible the third ribbon could be to do with his casual service. I will have to dig around the internet a bit more. As you said this photo is after 1927 as that is also when he joined the 7th.
Thanks for your input
KK