Author Topic: Ancestry DNA Results Filtering  (Read 662 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA Results Filtering
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I have been sitting here wishing that there was some way that I could filter out all my dna matches who either have no tree or so few people that I assume that they are not interested in their family histories.  I have no problem with that except that I wish I could exclude them in the search for results of shared matches to save having to scroll through countless in which I am not interested.

Then I thought that maybe? someone has found a way to do that - so thought I would ask.

This is not intended to be a rant against those without trees - I really have no issue with that - I would just like to make my searches a little easier.

I would be eternally grateful if Ancestry would add this functionality.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA Results Filtering
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I too would like to be able search and sort my Ancestry match data. I think the only way to do it is the download the data to a spreadsheet, which (if you are familiar with spreadsheets) can help in manipulating the data. Then, if the database contains a field for whether the match has a tree (which I think it must because that information is listed on each match's page), you can sort to find those that do and don't have trees.

Trouble is, Ancestry doesn't seem to provide a download facility, for reasons that I'm not aware of. FTDNA does it, so why not Ancestry? But a couple of third party tools do allow this.

1. AncestryDNA Helper is a free Chrome extension that allows you to download the match list, so you can open it in a spreadsheet. I haven't tried it because the Mac version isn't working at the moment, but it apparently works fine on a PC. Instructions are here.

2. DNA gedcom is another way to download though, again, I haven't tried it yet. There is a price to use it for a month or a year.

Hopefully one of these might do the trick for you.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA Results Filtering
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Eric.  I am very familiar with spreadsheets so that element will be fine - I just wasn't sure about downloading but will try one or other of your options later on.

Regards, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire