Author Topic: WW2 Service Record - Duke of Wellington's Regiment / Home Guard  (Read 2816 times)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
WW2 Service Record - Duke of Wellington's Regiment / Home Guard
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I have recently acquired a Second World War service record, and there are various abbreviations which I am unaware of, and I wonder, therefore, whether somebody could shed some light on them.

This gentleman was on the 'Y' list on 25.3.41 and again on 13.2.42.  What is the 'Y' list?  I read that this may relate to hospitalisation.

He was posted to the '5th H B' on 14.3.40, and subsequently posted to the '50th H Bri' on 8.6.40.  What are these abbreviations?  Are they the '5th Home Battalion/Brigade' and '50th Home Brigade' respectively?

The gentleman concerned was on the Home Station from 15.11.39 - 24.2.43.  He enlisted on 15.11.39 into the 1st Battalion, Duke of Wellington's Regiment.  At various points he was at an 'ITC', Infantry Training Centre.  Were there specific centres attributed to the DWR?

On 19.3.42, he was with the '10th'.  Was this the '10th Battalion, DWR' (I believe there was no such thing), or does this relate to the '10th home battalion' or '10th home brigade'.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,
Jonathan

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service Record - Duke of Wellington's Regiment / Home Guard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
It is invariably easier to interpret the hieroglyphics from the original, context and column headings hold clues.

Y List means he is off the strength of his unit for a period.  While it most often means sick, there were other reasons - holding unit awaiting posting for example.  I would want to see the related entry for each before being 100% sure of the reason.

Can you post the relevant part of his record, including the column headings?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
First snippet attached.

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Second snippet attached.

Thanks for your response on this MaxD, much appreciated.

It would be good to know where about these supposed brigades / battalions were posted on the mainland.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
A very quick query - could you look at the remainder of his record for clues/dates in the Aug 41 to Feb 44 period.  10 Battalion was a home defence battalion and he clearly didn't go abroad with them so there is a gap  - or perhaps you have this covered?
MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
1 Aug 1941 - 10th (ITC)

13 Feb 1942 - Y list

19 Mar 1942 - LT posted to 10th Bn

22 Sep 1942 - 1st BN (I assume this is DWR)

He was on the Home Station from 15.11.39 - 24.2.43.  In North Africa from 25.2.43 - 3.244, a POW in Stalag XI-A from 4.2.44 - 12.5.45.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Slowly - (snow to clear)

The ITC for the Dukes was No 4 ITC at Brancepeth Castle, which also trained for the DLI.
He next moves in turn to No5 and No 50 Holding Battalions but I have so far not identified their locations.  These were units where men were "parked" awaiting assignment to a unit.
In his case he goes to 1st Battalion Dukes, the date suggests this was after Dunkirk.
He leaves the 1st Bn Dukes and is Y listed for a week on his way to (presumably) the same ITC and then to 10th Bn Dukes which was a home service reinforcement training unit, again the location eludes me. It is now August 42.
Next comes another short Y List period - no explanation - and back to 1st Bn Dukes in Sep 42.

Then comes the gap but the dates you give accord with the 1st Bn going to N Africa and on to Italy via Anzio where he is taken as a POW.

I am afraid I haven't answered all your queries about locations but hopefully you're a bit further on?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear MaxD,

That is very helpful, indeed.  Thank you very much.

A question, on 19 March 1942 LT is with the 10th Bn Dukes.  In September he is with the 1st Bn.  Does this mean he was with the 10th Bn for those 6 months?  Second, and perhaps the most important question, would he have had leave to go home etc?  I assume the Regimental museum would have information concerning the locations of 10th Bn Dukes.

Though this link seems to explain the movements of 10th Bn Dukes.  From 1940 - 41, Yorkshire area.  From 1941 - 42 Durham and Northumbria area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/218th_Brigade_(United_Kingdom)

Best wishes,
GS

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 March 18 09:26 GMT (UK) »
That is certainly what his record is saying.  As his overseas date accords with the 1st Battalion going to N Africa, he would have had some period of embarkation leave before they went.

From clues elsewhere, I believe 10 Bn was in the same place as No 4 ITC. ITCs were run by a battalion(s) and I am adding 2 and 2 and hopefully getting four!  The movements referred to may simply have been coming under another headquarters rather than a physical movement of the battalion. 
The museum is a good point of contact to answer the locations question as would also be the Dukes Association - http://www.dwr.org.uk/

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk