Author Topic: WW2 Service Record - Duke of Wellington's Regiment / Home Guard  (Read 2818 times)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service Record - Duke of Wellington's Regiment / Home Guard
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help with this.

According to the Museum, the 10th Bn was formed as the 50th Holding Bn in Wentworth, Rotherham.  Until Dec 1943, the 10th was posted on coastal defence in Bridlington, West Hartlepool, Rudston, and Withernsea.  Their associated training camps were at Malton and Otley.

So, I would suggest that Lawrence was at Brancepth Castle with the 1st Battalion, DWR, on 15 November 1939 until his posting to the 5th Holding Battalion, as per his service record, and then either at Malton or Otley whilst with the 10th Battalion, DWR.

Best wishes,
GS

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I think you have perhaps mis-typed the beginning of his service.  He didn't reach 1st Battalion until Jun 1940 (they were in France fighting in the rearguard at Dunkirk until the 1st/2nd June), prior to that it was the ITC/5 Bn/50 Bn sequence.

Have you considered getting the relevant war diaries for the 1942 on period? There are a number to choose from to get the right time frames:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1925&_q=1+AND+duke+AND+of+AND+wellingtons

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
You are quite right, MaxD.

What I meant to say was that he joined the 1st Battalion, DWR in 1939, but, as you say, was not posted to the 1st Bt until June 1940.

I think I will, the DWR museum have informed me that they'd be able to provide photocopies of the entries, which should, in turn, give me more context to the movements of the 1st.

Thank you for your help, MaxD.  Is there anything else I should consider referring to / observing for further information on dates, etc?  His movements around the 1942 period are particularly important to my research.

Best wishes,
GS

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
The war diaries, while not naming him, will at least allow you to gain a flavour of his war.  If the museum can provide copies so much the better (and cheaper!).

I would only advise keeping an eye on the dates in his record as you flesh out the bare facts, too easy to have him at X when the dates in his record say Y.

Good luck in your further research.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia