Author Topic: James Smith (approx 1822-)  (Read 898 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Smith (approx 1822-)
« on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Looking for death of James Smith born around 1822 in Longside to William Smith and Ann Craig (from marriage certificate).  James married Margaret Smith (1830-1919) she was a widow when she died in Longside, they married 24 Nov 1855 in Tarves.  One of their daughters Margaret died in 1905 and her death certificate says that her father is already deceased.  From census in 1891 he is living at 11 Road B, Longside with wife Margaret and daughter Nellie (Helen  1872-1910) although his age is ten years out.  On the 1881 Census it gives his right(ish) age and they are living in Mintlaw.  Does anyone have him in their tree?  I have looked at quite a few death certificates on Scotlandspeople but none match unfortunately, thanks.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Smith (approx 1822-)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

You don't mention the 1901 Census.....is this them?

At West-st-(north), Longside,
Head: Margaret  SMITH 70, b Tarves
Dau: Nellie SMITH 17, School Attendant, b Longside.

Note: Nellie's age is way off in this transcription, A - if she was born 1872, she would be 29 here. And Scotland's people index her as age 67!

Have you seen this 1901 Census - does it confirm Margaret's marital status as 'widow'?

If so, that puts James' death as between the Census 1891 and 1901.

On the 1891 Census, James is listed as 79 years old, out by about 10 years if he was born abt 1822 - but not wildly different to the following death index:

1892:   James SMITH age 82 (born abt 1810), registered LONGSIDE.

What else is it about the actual death certificate that says this is not your James?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Note: Nellie's age is way off in this transcription, A - if she was born 1872, she would be 29 here. And Scotland's people index her as age 67!
If you think there is a mistake, notify SP. They will look at it and correct it if it is a transcription or indexing error.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ambly that it his wife and daughter in 1901 census.  Yes it confirms that she is a widow.  I had discounted James Smith 1892 because of his age (given as 82) and also his mothers name given as Mary but maybe i've been short sighted on it.  Thank you so much for your help.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Information can often be wrong on  Death Certificates in general, and I've personally found when the deceased is quite elderly, misinformation about their ages amd parent's names can be common.

Yes Ambly that it his wife and daughter in 1901 census.  Yes it confirms that she is a widow.  I had discounted James Smith 1892 because of his age (given as 82) and also his mothers name given as Mary but maybe i've been short sighted on it.  Thank you so much for your help.

On the 1892 Death Certificate:
What is his occupation?
What is the address at death?
His mother 'Mary's maiden name?
His father's name and occupation?
The informant's name and address?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)