Author Topic: DNA puzzle  (Read 907 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA puzzle
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone can help me with explanation of below.

I have X match with 3 sisters. My brother has X match with one of them.

The common ancestors are the 4 x gt grandparents of the sisters and the 3 x gt grandparents of my brother and I in England. We are now in Australia and the sisters in the USA.

The ancestors are on my father's direct male line and my brother and I still have that surname.

My brother and I are from the son of our 3 x gt g/parents and the 3 sisters are from a brother and sister of those ancestors (their 4 x gt g/ parents) - 3 siblings of the 3 x and 4 x gt g/parents.

For the 3 sisters a daughter of the male sibling married a son of the female sibling and their daughter married a man (the gt grandfather of the sisters) whose surname is the maiden name of the 3 sisters.

Given X is suposed to come from our mother or our father's mother I don't understand the X matches we have.

I hope someone can explain, please.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hope someone can help me with explanation of below.

I have X match with 3 sisters. My brother has X match with one of them.

The common ancestors are the 4 x gt grandparents of the sisters and the 3 x gt grandparents of my brother and I in England. We are now in Australia and the sisters in the USA.

The ancestors are on my father's direct male line and my brother and I still have that surname.

My brother and I are from the son of our 3 x gt g/parents and the 3 sisters are from a brother and sister of those ancestors (their 4 x gt g/ parents) - 3 siblings of the 3 x and 4 x gt g/parents.

For the 3 sisters a daughter of the male sibling married a son of the female sibling and their daughter married a man (the gt grandfather of the sisters) whose surname is the maiden name of the 3 sisters.

Given X is suposed to come from our mother or our father's mother I don't understand the X matches we have.

I hope someone can explain, please.

The easiest answer is that your puzzle indicates that you share more than one common ancestor with these sisters.

Just as the X match is a link through your mother or father's mother, so it will be the same for them - their mother or father's mother. The tree you have described is a link through their father's father and your father's father.

Therefore you share another common line of descent (the X match) as well as the match you described.

The X match could be many many generations ago.

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 18 03:58 GMT (UK) »
I J, thankyou. It is what I suspected and will probably be too difficult to work out.

Regards, Marilyn

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Who did you all test with?

How long are these shared segments on the X-chromosome?

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 18 03:35 GMT (UK) »
All on both sides have tested with ftdna. In addition one sister tested on Ancestry and that is the only result on Gedmatch - none of the ftdna are.

The sister on Gedmatch has this on chromosome 23 compared to me though she isn't on my list of matches - 44916961-51207222 (8.8919 cM), 51361035-68051531 (4.5881 cM), New Root. No X compared to my brother.

On ftdna:
On my results
- 3 of the 4 sisters have X.
Sister 1 - my 3rd match overall and on chromo browser total 15 segments and though she is an X match nothing on 23.
Sister 2 - my 4th match overall has total 22 segments but none on chromo 23 though she is an X match.
Sister 3 (the one on Ancestry on Gedmatch) - lower down my list of matches and has X match and has total 15 segments spread over chromo 23 and 12.
Sister 4 - not an X match to me and not on my list of matches.
Person 5 - likely daughter of one/niece to others is an X match to me with total 15 segments over chromo 23 and 12. She is on same chromos as Sister 3 but Person 5 has the sister's maiden name - maybe a 5th sister?

On ftdna:
On my brother's results
- nothing on chromo 23 / X for chromo browser for anyone.
Sister 1 - his 4th general match and the only one who has X match on the list but on chromo browser nothing on chromo 23. Total 17 segments.
Sister 2 - his #7 match and total 15 segs.
Sister 3 - low match and total 13 segs.
Sister 4 - his #2 match after me and total 17 segs.
Person 5 - low match and total 15 segs.

I hope this isn't too confusing. It would be better if all were on Gedmatch.

Marilyn

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 18 05:20 GMT (UK) »
IMO - most of the X-matches women have are false matches. 

Have a look on Gedmatch at the number of X-matches women have compared with the number that men have .  Women should have only twice as many as men (because they have two X-chromosomes) but the seem to have a lot more than that.

Just pick some random men and women and you'll see what I mean.