Author Topic: Possibly Louisa Newton  (Read 795 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Possibly Louisa Newton
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 07:20 GMT (UK) »
This earlier photo is I think my lovely grandmother Louisa Newton b 1875 in Nottingham by Allan Hufford of 19 Market Street.  It could of course be a 21st photo which would mean it was taken in 1896.

The later photo is definitely of my darling grandmother, then Louisa Gillott taken c1955 at Nottingham Castle.

Can anyone tell me please are these the same lady?

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly Louisa Newton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Quick clean....

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
A bit later than 1896. This is Edwardian & I would suggest the latter half.
It's quite difficult to tell but she appears to be married at this time which gives a starting date.
Hard to say as there's such an age gap but I can see similarities between the two but that doesn't follow they are the same person.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I think there are similarities but as Jim said, there is too much time difference between the two photos to be able to give an opinion as to whether they are the same person, also she would have to be around 80 years old if the second photo was taken in 1955 and I don't think she looks that old.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone. The second photo may be as early as 1950, but not completely sure, it was certainly in the first half of the fifties, I can remember my mother getting it. My dear grandmother would have been between 75 and 80 in the photo, she died in 1957 aged 82. She was very active and ran a small shop until three weeks before she died. I love the photo as it was so like her.

The trip to Nottingham was with my aunt, and was to see the Trent for the last time Grandma said. I remember that thought upset my mother.

Grandma married in 1900.  The earlier photo was taken in Nottingham which probably means she was still living there, they moved to Coventry 1908 with the Humber migration. Grandad worked for Humber. By then they had two children.

Interesting that you think it is Edwardian, Jim1. That is a studio portrait and I they were usually taken for a special occasion and I cannot think of one. The only possible idea is that if it is late Edwardian then by then she would have met my other grandmother who was very into photos, but then why go back to Nottingham to have it taken. All puzzles aren't they.

Could have been a 30th birthday I suppose, that would be 1905 and she would have still been in Nottingham then.

I have added a couple of close ups of the faces that might help.

Thanks for the quick clean, Handypandy.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 18 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Can't be positive, but my impression is that these are the same person.

Agree that the younger woman looks Edwardian.  So if Jim says she appears to be married . . . . makes sense.

Nottingham isn't so very far from Coventry is it?  She could have been visiting someone - family maybe?  (spoken by someone well away from UK)

Wiggy 
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You mention your other grandmother, have you got a photo of her?

Gadget

* or did she have a younger sister?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the idea, Gadget. It was not my other grandmother though, she was somewhat older, born in 1859. Another delightful lady I am told, but she died before I was 2 so very sadly I do not remember her. My grandmothers were not alike to look at. They were great friends.

Sister in law was a possibility. I sent it off to a second cousin the same age as I am who knew the family better than I did, but she did not recognise the photo. Needless to say she is interested in the answer as well!!

Sister, there is no one I can send it to on that side who would be old enough to remember. There were several sisters. This is why I am wondering.

Yes, she could have been on a visit, Wiggy, I quite agree.

My other reasoning it might be my grandmother is the photo's inheritance trail.

My aunt, her younger daughter, cleared my grandmother's house and would have taken special photos.
Her daughter, my very dear cousin, inherited them
and it is her younger daughter who is asking me who this is,
me now being the oldest of the family and the daughter of my grandmother's elder daughter who died before her mother.

I was rather amused to see the large envelope with all the old photos in. It was named 'Vintage photos'. I knew all the others, they were mainly my mother and her siblings when they were young.