Author Topic: 1889 diary, in Reading  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: 1889 diary, in Reading
« Reply #27 on: Monday 19 March 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I attempt to show here what I think Karen McDonald saw. I'm sure sure Karen can put it better.

;D I'll try.

The writer doesn't normally curl the top of a "b" downwards, which is why I see the tail of an "f" touching the "b" (the 3rd letter).

If you cover the main part of the word, the superscript looks like "fld.". (I think!  :))

The serif on the top of the 2nd letter is also uncharacteristic for a "b" from his pen - it looks like a correction to me. Whether it is an "r" or not is a question which remains to be answered.
An "e" would be less likely, though.

I do agree with Roger/despair, though: I would also have said "in" for a town.  ??? Unless I was talking about an event in a town, e.g. The Arborfield Country Fair - then I would say "at". (I hope this makes sense...)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 19 March 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Karen - I see the acute   but thought it was a wayward stroke. It is a puzzle . Also agree with Roger - you usually meet in town or whatever and meet at somebody's or a house -e.g

I met you in London
I met you at the British Museum.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 19 March 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I do agree with Roger/despair, though: I would also have said "in" for a town.  ??? Unless I was talking about an event in a town, e.g. The Arborfield Country Fair - then I would say "at". (I hope this makes sense...)

I think my example was a bit crap.  ;D
I've just thought of a better one:
Ascot is a town, so I might meet someone in Ascot.
However, if we want to talk about gee-gee races there, I could say I will meet them at Ascot, because we are talking about the horseracing event and not the town itself.

Is that any clearer?  ::) ;D
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 March 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure whether it might have started life as 'Abbey', but if it has been amended to Arborfield, is it possible that the end of word '-y' element and the superscript next to it are now meant to be 'Grange'?

Arborfield Grange is a biggish house in the top left hand corner of this map:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/97793338
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
That looks neat arthurk, Very promising.

Thoughts anyone?

In the 1880s Arborfield Grange had just the 12 bedrooms and 13 acres!
It was occupied by Henry Mills Cannon and on the market in 1887 and changed occupiers in about June 1889 when the newly wed RN Commander Stuart Hamilton Rickman and wife moved in. He died in 1913 and his widow sold it in 1917.
Strangely the house's butler was imprisoned (two months hard labour) for sealing Cannon's brandy in 1888 and another butler of the house was imprisoned (three months hard labour) for stealing bottles of wine and a cigarette case from the owner in 1939. Both men had a previous conviction.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
The only Henry Mills Cannon I can see in 1881 was at Wonastow Court, Monmouthshire, aged 60 and late Surgeon General in the Bengal Army. He was born in Dublin. The household included his wife and daughter and 6 servants.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
That's the fella arthurk,
He died 12 October 1892 at 10 Eaton Place, London aged 72.
Obit attached.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Just found his probate - 7th Nov 1892.

£9031, 2. 9  - revised from original of £8306.3.3
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
changed occupiers in about June 1889 when the newly wed RN Commander Stuart Hamilton Rickman and wife moved in.

What was the date for the entry, Deskman? They could have met at a farewell or welcome do or, maybe, if Mr P was a surveyor, he was doing some survey work?