Author Topic: Baptised twice - on same day!  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptised twice - on same day!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
If the parents were who I think they were ( yet to be confirmed), they were both Irish, and I have traced their possible Catholic marriage in Dublin.

I did wonder if the lack of a convenient Catholic presence in Wales caused them to compromise their faith.

Just too many unanswered questions to form any firm conclusions on this one. I guess I'll just have to leave it hanging.

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researcher in the Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I found this on a Methodist Church website:

"According to the Methodist Worship Book, baptism (or Christening) marks entry into the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, of which the Methodist Church is part. "

Maybe this explains it? I would check to see if St. John's was an overseeing church if that makes sense.

Hannah
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that's interesting. I'll follow it up and see if it leads anywhere.

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I found this on a Methodist Church website:

"According to the Methodist Worship Book, baptism (or Christening) marks entry into the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, of which the Methodist Church is part. "

Maybe this explains it? I would check to see if St. John's was an overseeing church if that makes sense.

Hannah
All that phrase means is that the Methodists are part of the worldwide Christian community.  It certainly doesn't mean they are or were subservient in any way to the Church of England.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, John.

I understood the two churches to be independent  of each other, which is why I was confused by  reference to the baptisms appearing to be  in the records of both.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it, baptism is a universal rite accepted by all denominations (who baptise infants). It need not even be performed by a cleric. That makes it odder that two different churches would be asked to baptise. Could it be that the parents attended either church (strange if they were Catholics) and wanted the child to be "accepted into the congregation" of both to hedge their bets?
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it, baptism is a universal rite accepted by all denominations (who baptise infants). It need not even be performed by a cleric. That makes it odder that two different churches would be asked to baptise. Could it be that the parents attended either church (strange if they were Catholics) and wanted the child to be "accepted into the congregation" of both to hedge their bets?
Unless you actually have original records (i.e. images) for both baptisms, I would think it far more likely that it's a glitch in the online system, rather than that there were genuinely two events at separate churches on the same day.  If we were discussing Family Search that would be a pretty definite conclusion because of the origins of their records; I'm more surprised if it's FreeREG but don't know enough about their systems.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researcher in the Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
According to Genuki [not sure how reliable it is] there are two parishes St. John the Evangelist. St. Mary and St. David in Brecon. This tells you a little bit about St. John Parish http://www.blfhs.co.uk/index.php/parishes/parishes-a-b/brecon-st-john. You can find more about it http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=303750&Y=229687&A=Y&Z=120&lm=1. It looks like from the maps that Llanfaes Tabernacle fell under the St. John the Evangelist Parish.

I could be wrong though. It may be worth contacting a family history society from the area to see if they have any insight.

Hannah
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I just looked on FreeREG and yes you are right, Sarah, John and Joseph Smith are all shown baptised in both places.

So are Henry Jones, Mary Williams and Elizabeth Williams -  three random names that appear under Llanfaes Tabernacle.  So it seems likely that all baptisms recorded at the Tabernacle are also on FreeREG under St John's.