Author Topic: Looking for a Winner  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a Winner
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I have recently come into possession of the following medals. The initials C.S.S. have been established as Central Secondary School located in Suffolk Street, Birmingham. This school went on to become Central Grammar School which in turn amalgamated with a girls grammar school to become Birmingham International school which is still in existence.
Looking through newspaper articles for the dates given I have established that they were awarded to a scholar named J.M.Brook(e)s. I would love to learn about this person but despite Google searches and Ancestry  I have come up with nothing. I wonder if there is anyone on the forum who could advise me as to how to go about trying to trace him.
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Winner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 09:16 GMT (UK) »
This should also have gone on the above post

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I have a ref. disc for Leicester with regards to some school records, might there be the same for Birmingham? The archives might be worth contacting to see if you can accesss similar.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenvale........ again  ;D I've only just seen this thread. Have you tried Birmingham History Forum? I'm not a member but I know a little sister who probably is  ;D I've just looked and there's a Central Grammar School thread so I guess you could post the pictures on there.

My first husband went to Central when it was still a boys grammar school in Tile Cross, he was there late 50's early 60's. I do recognise the image on the first picture as being the same/similar to the blazer badges.

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearnan, thanks for replying. Yes I made enquiries with B'ham History Forum and came up with some good leads including some newspaper cuttings with the results of some of the events for the years featured. I've got one particular name and I'm slowly trawling through electoral rolls etc to positively identify him or his family. Thanks for the suggestion and if I'm successful I'll let everyone know.