Author Topic: Cemeteries in Bridgewater South Australia 1870's - Ann Garland  (Read 966 times)

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemeteries in Bridgewater South Australia 1870's - Ann Garland
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to locate where a family member (Anne Garland) may have been buried.  She died in Bridgewater (Adelaide Hills) South Australia in 1871, so I'm assuming she would have been buried around the area, her husband stayed on in Bridgewater for a number of years after her death.  All searches of surrounding cemeteries have not come up with anything.

There was a methodist cemetery in Bridgewater (now cleared) but not a huge amount of information is available on line, no burial records, why is was cleared or dates it was in use.

There also appears to be a Bible Christian Church which was in use around this time - different location to the Methodist cemetery. But once again cannot find any information online if there was a cemetery attached to the church.

I plan to go to the historical society to see if they have any information, but though I would try my luck on here as well.

Mel

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cemeteries in Bridgewater South Australia 1870's - Ann Garland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Name:    Ann Garland
Birth Year:    abt 1818
Death Date:    17 Jun 1871
Death Place:    Bridgewater
Residence Place:    Bridgewater
Registration Place:    Adelaide, South Australia
Page Number:    321
Volume Number:    42

Ann Price
Birth:  1818 - Gloucestershire, England
Death:  1871 - Bridgewater, South Australia
Marriage:  23 Nov 1841 - Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Spouse:  Isaac Garland

Name:    Anne Garland
Father's name:    Isaac Garland
Spouse Name:    James Bassett
Spouse's Father's Name:    John Bassett
Marriage Date:    22 Feb 1864
Marriage Place:    St John Church
Registration Place:    Adelaide, South Australia
Page Number:    65
Volume Number:    57

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 18 04:31 GMT (UK) »
You could also try the Mount Lofty Districts Historical Society (https://mtloftyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/)
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »

Yes that's her.  I think Mt Lofty Historical society is going to be my best bet.  I have since discovered some old pamphlets/church minutes stored at the state library that may help - it's just trying to get in there...... and that there was a cemetery attached to the Bible Christian Church as well, so that makes 2 cemeteries that have been cleared in the local township.  I'm curious as to why this would occur, space certainly wasn't an issue and I would have thought that clearing a cemetery no matter how old wouldn't be looked upon as overly favourable by the community....

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Given you mention the state library, I presume you are aware of the Stirling District Methodist Circuit records. Re Bridgewater, there doesn't look like much from the 19th century is still available, and certainly no burial records.

http://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au/search~S1?/eSRG+4%2F142/esrg++++++++4%2F+++++142/-3%2C1%2C1%2CE/frameset&FF=esrg++++++++4%2F+++++142&0%2C0%2C (Stirling District Methodist Circuit : SUMMARY RECORD, SRG 4/142)
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline leoniehv

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ann Garland née Price was my 2nd great grand mother. I have no record of where she was buried but her husband Isaac was buried in the Wellington East Cemetery. Not sure if this helps at all.
Leonie