Author Topic: Cousin to Sir Francis Drake?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cousin to Sir Francis Drake?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
From my own research into wills of this period, the use of the word 'cousin' can mean a familial relationship, but this is looser than now.  It can mean a family member, either by marriage or by blood. 

My advice (but there is by no means any imperative to accept it  ;D ) - keep an open mind and look at possibe relationships.  However, given the date, that may be easier said than done.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Here is a reference to the term "cousin" in Shakespeare's time and works:
http://www.shakespeareswords.com/cousin

Did you read the link I posted?

Shakespeare and Francis Drake's lives overlapped; so the words, and meanings, Shakespeare used would be similar to those of Drake.

I did, thank you. I just wondered whether we could assume that language used in two spheres of life (popular plays vs legal documents) could really be said to have the same meaning in both contexts.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
From my own research into wills of this period, the use of the word 'cousin' can mean a familial relationship, but this is looser than now.  It can mean a family member, either by marriage or by blood. 

My advice (but there is by no means any imperative to accept it  ;D ) - keep an open mind and look at possibe relationships.  However, given the date, that may be easier said than done.

Nell

Thanks. A near relation by blood or marriage. Or maybe a near relation of a near relation.