Author Topic: marriage  (Read 1768 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: marriage
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Doubt if Mary Ann was Blackfoot their territories were about 1,800 miles to the west.  The Mohawk territory encompassed the lands around Montreal with other tribes formed the six nations.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
The marriage took place 01 Jul 1863 at St. Thomas church, Montreal after publication of banns.  On ancestry he is indexed as Hawthan and her last name as Kwoon.  The marriage register showed she made her mark and her surname was recorded as K'coon.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 March 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Well done cosmac.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline john+sue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 March 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your input I need to digest it now will get back to you all in a little while  regards john + sue

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 March 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Further to the marriage registry entry:  Peter was a corporal in Her Majesty's 2nd Battalion, Scots Fusilier Guards.

Offline john+sue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all the people on this site' you have helped so much I now have a better picture of Peter and Mary. I have been in touch with St Thomas church in Montreal to get their marriage certificate. Hope it will help with her surname ect. I thank you all once again keep up the good work.  kind regards John + Sue

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Peter's army record is online - do you have access to it?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Peter and Mary Ann had a daughter while they were still in Montreal....

Charlotte Eliza Hawthorn
Born 12 Apr 1964
Baptized 17 May 1864
Father Peter Hawthorn Corporal of the Scotch Fusilier Guards
Mother Mary Ann McCoon
Garrison Church Montreal

Most of the writing is terrible but the McCoon is quite clear. I haven't been able to find anything to connect Mary Ann (as McCoon) yet but there are McCoons connected to Utica and Monreal in the online records. Most unfortunate that the marriage record doesn't give parents' names.

Also, probably due to the bad writing, I didn't find the baptism indexed; l found it going page by page through the 1864 Montreal Garrison film.

A possible death for Charlotte....

Charlotte Eliza Hawthorn Dec qtr 1864 Westminster 1a 286. Child's age is 0 on the GRO website (so presumably less than a year).

Images of Quebec parish records in the Drouin Collection are on line through the Ancestry website. You need a Canadian or World sub to access them. If you don't have a sub, you might check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition which would also give you access.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
good find for the daughter.

ancestry has it indexed as Charlotte Ettoenthier.  No one would have ever found it without knowing a first name or browsing like you did.