Author Topic: Camerons in strontian  (Read 3780 times)

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Camerons in strontian
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie, for your time and interest. I am at a dead end with this trail, I think!

I agree, there were a lot of Camerons in that area, and also a lot of ket/ketty/katrine/katherines one of whom who may be the mother of John, named as Kett in one census.

I wish you lots more good luck than I have had! Thank you again, best wishes, Islay

Offline IainL

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Islay

I also have traced ancestors to Glasbhil in the 1841 census, my great great great grandparents Samuel and Christina Macdonald. Glasbhil was a very small settlement on the other side of Loch Sunart from Strontian, right beside a place called Liddesdale which you can still find on Google Maps. There were several small villages there during the mid to late 1800s, at the centre of a lead mining industry. My ancestor Samuel was an agricultural labourer, and later a farmer elsewhere. I'm no Gaelic expert but Glasbhil can alternatively be spelt Glac Sabhail, which roughly translates as 'barn in the glen' - so presumably there were some farms next to the mines. The Gaelic college on Skye is called Sabhal Mor Ostaig - the great barn of Ostaig. The area is very much Cameron and Macdonald country. Good luck in your search. Iain.

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,

How very kind of you to take the time to write what you did. Thank you very much, I found it most interesting. I have looked on an old map of the area, but the translation of a barn in the glen is something I had never heard of. We shall be up on holiday in the summer and visiting the area.....thank you for narrowing down our search to very near Liddesdale.

Good luck in your own research. This family history gets addictive! Best wishes,
         Islay