Author Topic: Finney and Holmes (Holms) of Ellastone  (Read 770 times)

Offline suelesterry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finney and Holmes (Holms) of Ellastone
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
I note with interest the recent thread on Finney of Ellastone. I don't know whether this is the place or not to ask but has anyone with connections to the above families had a DNA test.
I'm trying to trace the parents of my 3x grandfather John HOLMES born abt 1797 in Uttoxeter Staffs according to census declarations. He married Mary CRITCHLOW b 1800 in 1820 in Alton Staffs.
There are an abundance of John Holmes to choose from but I was led towards Ellastone by the fact that one of the marriage witnesses was Francis Horobin of the village.
John HOLMES could be the son of Rowland HOLMES b 1765 Ellastone and Jane WHIELDON. Rowland being the son of John HOLMES/HOLMS and Mary FINNEY
I'm not sure how strong any DNA links would be but thought it would be worth a try.
Thanks for reading
Harrison Derbyshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finney and Holmes (Holms) of Ellastone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello
It's not my family and I haven't had a DNA test to match them but have you considered
John Holmes baptised Uttoxeter s of John and Ellen Holmes 11.6.1794.
John senior dies 1832 and his Admin proven by wife Ellen says he was a cordwainer like your John married 1820 in Alton.
burial  John born 1768 buried 10.9.1832

John Holmes married Ellen Brunt 20.4.1790 at Utttoxeter

Sorry just realised you have all that

Ciderdrinker

Offline suelesterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finney and Holmes (Holms) of Ellastone
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes I had seen that but thanks for trying. That is the problem that there are at least two John Holmes that fit the bill
What makes it more difficult is that none of the children of John Holmes marriage to Mary Critchlow are named after his potential mother, that is no Jane or Ellen which is quite unusual. Perhaps his mother died early so there was no strong maternal bond
Sue

Hello
It's not my family and I haven't had a DNA test to match them but have you considered
John Holmes baptised Uttoxeter s of John and Ellen Holmes 11.6.1794.
John senior dies 1832 and his Admin proven by wife Ellen says he was a cordwainer like your John married 1820 in Alton.
burial  John born 1768 buried 10.9.1832

John Holmes married Ellen Brunt 20.4.1790 at Utttoxeter

Sorry just realised you have all that

Ciderdrinker
Harrison Derbyshire