Author Topic: Albert Whetton born abt 1876 in Measham, Derbyshire, England  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Albert Whetton born abt 1876 in Measham, Derbyshire, England
« on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Firstly, I appreciate I have posted this on the Leicestershire pages but Measham was "relocated" from Derbyshire to Leicestershire sometime around 1900.

I'm researching a Whetton line on behalf one of Albert's grandnephews, who now lives here in Fife, Scotland, but have "hit the wall" with Albert after the 1891 Census where he was recorded as an "Agricultural Labourer" residing at "Wood Yard, Measham, Derbyshire, England" with his parents  :-\

I know Albert was the 3rd son, 7th child, of Richard Whetton 1834-1900 and Emma Dennis 1841-1903 but that's as far as I can go.

There's a "tentative" link with Victoria in Australia on TROVE that could be him, but without parents' names to back it up I'm uncertain.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Whetton born abt 1876 in Measham, Derbyshire, England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
RG 13/3140/F61/p48
8 St Marks Terrace, Mansfield Nottingham
Albert Whetton Boarder 26 born Measham, Leicestershire Railway Passenger Guard

He's boarding with a family called Atkinson.

Can't see him in 1911

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Emeltom

One more step along the way!

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the one posted by emelton;
In last Census available same occp in Sheffield, Yorks, unm, born 1878 Measham, Leics. Under Albert Joseph Whetton.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
What about this one?

Name:    Albert J Whetton
Death Age:    78
Birth Date:    abt 1876
Registration Date:    Mar 1954
Registration district:    Burton upon Trent
Inferred County:    Staffordshire
Volume:    9b
Page:    109

Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Trish and Stitchwitch

Sorry for the delay in replying but my wife and I have had a "retail day" out in Glasgow today and have just returned home  ::)

A couple of contenders, most certainly, although the "Joseph" middle name hasn't cropped up anywhere else ... yet  ;D

Unfortunatley, if I were to go for it, the Death Certificate wouldn't mention his parents ... as our Scottish ones do  ::)  so no help there.

And unfortunately ... again ... Albert's grandnephew didn't even know this branch of his family existed until I "unearthed" them!

Chiad Fhear

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm ....

if we were to assume that the 1954 UK death is him, and we assume that he carried on working on the railways, then he might well show up on the 1939 Register. Now we need someone with a current FindMyPast sub to look there for him and see who he's with, etc. (There are 3 obvious ones on the index, of which one I'm fairly sure isn't him). Otherwise, you're waiting till I go to the library later in the week.

The death certificate would tell us who notified the death. With luck, it might be a relative. Worth a punt?
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 March 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi stitchwitch

I feel we may be getting somewhere with Albert and I'd be happy, for now, to await the result of your visit to the Library.

FindMyPast isn't one of my subscriptions  :(

Chiad Fhear

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »
An AJ Whetton, Railway Guard, was a member of the National Union Of Railwaymen, and there are records of him holding membership in Morecambe, Lancs from 1927 until 1941.

The free index of the 1939 register has him transcribed as Albert J Whitton.  Unmarried. 

The probate for the 1954 death lists him as Albert Joseph Whetton of 92 High Street, Measham, Leicestershire.  He died 27 Mar 1954 at the Infirmary, Burton on Trent.  Administration (with will) granted to Doris Ellen Jones (wife of William Jones).
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.