Author Topic: Greig family , Aberdeenshire.  (Read 1291 times)

Offline peggyanns1955

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greig family , Aberdeenshire.
« on: Friday 16 March 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=45784.msg6456852#msg6456852

Wow, this thread is so fascinating to me.  I just discovered that on my mother's side,my great great grandmother was Elizabeth Greig.  She married my great great grandfather, James Webster in 1861 in New Deer.  They had a son, James Webster who married Margaret Dawson Adams in 1889 in New York City.  On my father's side, my great great grandmother was Ann Milne.  She married Alexander Hadden.  He married Jane Dalziel.  So, if anyone can shed some light on my Greig family, I would be very grateful.  Thank you all!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Greig family , Aberdeenshire.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow, this thread is so fascinating to me.  I just discovered that on my mother's side,my great great grandmother was Elizabeth Greig.  She married my great great grandfather, James Webster in 1861 in New Deer.  They had a son, James Webster who married Margaret Dawson Adams in 1889 in New York City. 
You can view a copy of your great-great-grandparents' marriage certificate at modest cost at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. It will tell you the names of their parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

According to the IGI at https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi James Webster and Elizabeth Greig had at least three children
Mary, born 10 March 1862, New Deer
James, born 28 February 1865, Aberdeen Old Machar
Alexander, born 1 February 1868, Aberdeen Old Machar

The transcription of the 1871 census at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl lists the family at 34 Hardgate, Aberdeen: James Webster, 38, cab driver, born Strichen; wife Elizabeth, 36, born Pitsligo; sons James, 6; Alexander, 3; and John, 1, all born Aberdeen, and two lodgers. (I have often noted that there seem to be birth records missing in Aberdeen around 1870/1871). Mary had died in 1866 in Aberdeen. You can (and should - don't trust me or the transcribers - check it for yourself!) view the originals of all these records at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

On my father's side, my great great grandmother was Ann Milne.  She married Alexander Hadden.  He married Jane Dalziel.
It's always helpful if you can give an approximate date or place! I can't see either of these marriages on either SP or the IGI.

However Alexander Hadden and Jane/Jean Dalziel had at least four children.
George, born 8 July 1853
Birnie, born 9 May 1855
Thomas, born 4 December 1856
Margaret Dawson, born 13 February 1859, the first three in Longside and the last in Rathen
Go to SP as above and get Birnie's birth certificate. Certificates issued in 1855 are an absolute gold mine of information for genealogists.
There's also a death of an Alexander Hadden, aged 20, mother's surname Dalziel, in New Pitsligo in 1867. He would have been born in 1846/1847. So Alexander Hadden and Jane Dalziel must have been married by about 1846.

There are three servants named Hadden in the household of George Cruickshank, farmer, in the 1861 census: William, 22, born Tyrie; Alexander, 15, born Old Deer; John, 11, born Rathen.

In 1851, at Mill of Rathen, are Alexander Hadden, 30, born Tyrie; wife Jane, 28, born New Deer; James, 9; Robert, 7; Alexander, 5; a daughter aged 3 whose name is transcribed as Newssine; John, 1. William Hadden, 13, is a servant in the household of John Whyte at Pickerstone, Tyrie. I have not found them in 1841.

In 1871, William Hadden, 31, married, born Tyrie, is a servant in the household of John Keith at Auchrynie, New Deer. His wife Jane/Jean Rainie/Rennie is at 143 High Street, New Pitsligo with her children Amelia, William and George. William and Jane/Jean were married in New Pitsligo in 1864. Their marriage certificate will tell you the names of his parents. If his mother is Ann Milne, you will then know that Ann Milne died after about 1838 but before about 1846.

Will this do to be going on with?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline peggyanns1955

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Forfarian,

Thank you so much for all the information on my family.  How sad that Mary Webster died so very young.  Perhaps that is why my gg grandparents looks so sad in the photograph I have of them.

The reason there is no information on Anne Miln marring Alexander Hadden is because I was wrong.  Ann Miln and Robert Dalziel married sometime in the early 1820's. 

I am going to go to the site you recommended and get the copies of marriage certificates. 

Again,  Thank you!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Is it just a concidence that James Webster had a sister named Margaret Dawson Webster, and he married a Margaret Dawson Adams? Though I don't see an obvious reason.

I see from the transcription of the 1889 marriage that Margaret's parents were Alexander Adams and Elizabeth McDonald.

Margaret Dawson Adam, daughter of Alexander Adam and Elizabeth McDonald, was born in Aberdeen St Nicholas on 28 December 1861.

In 1871 the family was in Kintore Place, Aberdeen. Alexander Adam, 43, tailor, born Monymusk; wife Elizabeth, 35, born Aberdeen; and Alexander, John, Margaret, William, Allan and Isobella. They were married in the parish of Tough in 1852.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline peggyanns1955

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Gee, There must be a mistake somewhere.  I know my great grandmother was born Margaret Dawson Adams and she married my great grandfather, James Webster.  I know he had a brother, Alexander and a sister, Mary.  I know my great grandmother's mother was Elizabeth McDonald who married Alexander Adams.  I never knew about a sister Margaret Dawson Webster.  I will have to ask my cousin what she knows. 
Does your transcript tell the birth dates of Elizabeth McDonald and Alexander Adams?  We are stuck there.

Again, Thank you so very much.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
No, it tells how old they were in 1871. Alexander was 43, which means that if his age is accurate he was born in 1827/1828. Elizabeth was 35, so if this is accurate she was born in 1835/1836. Again, you can view the transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and the original at Scotland's People. (It's not 'my' transcription.)

I told you in my first reply that Margaret Dawson Hadden was born in Rathen in 1859. She isn't James' sister (my mistake), but actually on the other side of your family. Still a coincidence that might be worth looking into.