Author Topic: Thomas Shaw 20 FEB 1800 London, Middlesex, England Spouse Sarah Hedger  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Shaw 20 FEB 1800 London, Middlesex, England Spouse Sarah Hedger
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 18 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Anything left to do?  ???

Nothing to be confused about. Jane's older son Henry was a Webb.

My family friend descends from the eldest child of Thomas Henry Shaw and Jane Copeland Webb ...
Elizabeth b 22 Aug 1851 Shoreditch was his great grandmother.
She married William Anderton Rowland in 1867, when she is only 15 !!  Nothing else to do in a mining town?
Their dau Florence Jane b 1876, married Francis Ezekiel Simmons.

I'll get back to my DNA matches stalking. ;D

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janelle,

I wasn't confused about Janes eldest child being illegitimate, I was, and am, confused about the completely different occupations given for the two Thomas'. It seems very strange to go from being a cheese monger to a carpenter, and then for Thomas Henry to go from a carpenter to a smith & farrier and then back to a carpenter in such a brief period ????

The original poster was looking for siblings of Thomas Henry Shaw, they also seemed to believe that his father was the son of a Michael & Catherine.

These were the points I was hoping to assist with.

Other possible children of Thomas Shaw & Sarah Wilson....
Emma Louisa Shaw, bap 2 Aug 1824 at St Sepulchre Holborn

Burials at St Sepulchre for the following children, all of CowCross Street...
Emma Shaw, buried 22 Jan 1828, aged 3 years and 6 months.
Sarah Shaw, buried 21 May 1828, aged 1 year 8 months
Sarah Shaw buried 28 Dec 1823, aged 9 months.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 March 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the detailed replies.  It would seem our information is incorrect or at least confused with another family.

It would be unusual for someone to change trades as some records suggest.  Was carpentry not an apprentice trade that required some years of apprenticeship?

I am certainly more confused.  I think I have some mingled data from other trees.

I think I need to go forward a generation with persons with better documentation and see if the errors can be eliminated or confirmed.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 March 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Apologies.  Clicked send on previous too soon.

We have good documentation for my 2nd great grandmother

Rebecca Shaw  Birth 25 SEP 1802   London, England

Death 28 DEC 1884  City of London Union Infirmary, Mile End

Records report her parents as Michael Shaw and Catherine Stevenson

She married David Barnard 13 MAY 1821 Saint Leonards,Shoreditch,London,England  Image attached.  Witness names are hard to make out.  One seems to have surname Lea and we know one of David and Rebecca's children had a middle name Lee ( at least that is how we have seen it on baptism) Could the name be a spelling error or maybe no connection at all.  Grasping a bit perhaps.

I know there were several Barnard families in the area and it seems from posts her, there were several Shaw families.  Also does not help that given names were common.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mcadamsd,

The signatures look to me like D Barnard and Jonah Lea.

There is a will for Michael Shaw, plumber of Kingsland Road Middlesex, probate 1836. In this he leaves everything to his daughter Rebecca Shaw and names her as his executrix. No wife or other children are named and Rebecca is named as Shaw and not Barnard?

This matches with the death you have of Michael Shaw in 1835 although as you have his wife dying after him I would assume she would be provided for along with the number of siblings.

Do you have anything that confirms that your Rebecca is the daughter of this Michael?

Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mcadamsd,

The signatures look to me like D Barnard and Jonah Lea.

There is a will for Michael Shaw, plumber of Kingsland Road Middlesex, probate 1836. In this he leaves everything to his daughter Rebecca Shaw and names her as his executrix. No wife or other children are named and Rebecca is named as Shaw and not Barnard?

This matches with the death you have of Michael Shaw in 1835 although as you have his wife dying after him I would assume she would be provided for along with the number of siblings.

Do you have anything that confirms that your Rebecca is the daughter of this Michael?

Further digging at my end has quickly revealed my tree had a Michael Shaw born 1796 and passing in 1835, same year as the father but different months.  Father November and son December.  However, that data came from other tree.  Some have the son's death as March 1835

I had a parish baptism record  for Rebecca 18 Oct 1802 St Leonard, Shoreditch, Middlesex, England but I cannot find the downloaded document but image shows parents Catherine and Michael.

I have been unable to find a marriage for the younger Michael Shaw that might explain the will and the daughter Rebecca.  I found a hint for a death record that lists a death in 1835 for a Michael Shaw in 1835 with mother Catherine but have been unable to view that document.

Going back to the parents Michael Shaw and Catherine Stevenson, I have found some detail

Catherine was daughter of James Stevenson and Elizabeth Stevenson (Battle) and was baptized 1 Aug 1773 St Mary, Whitechapel, Middlesex, England.  She married 22 Dec 1793 Christ Church with St Mary and St Stephen, Spitalfields. She seems to have passed 05 Mar 1848, possibly in a workhouse Princes Street, St George in the East

Michael Shaw was baptized 14 Aug 1774 St Leonard, Shoreditch Hackney, Middlesex and parents were Ephraim Shaw and Sarah Shaw ( We believe maiden name Man or Mann)  We have not found a child named Sarah which seems odd.  The death record shows birth 1773 which seems close.

One additional confusing fact we have found in several sources is a daughter Charlotte born 1805
Birth 07 MAY 1805 • Huntington Street, Shoreditch, Middlesex and Death 22 AUG 1805 • Huntington Street, Shoreditch, Middlesex.  The records are there to support this but additionally others show a Charlotte Shaw married to a Mark Hayes 11 May 1828 • St John's, Hackney, Middlesex, England. 

All this seems to point to my confusing two families living in the same area with similar given names. 

More confused than ever but at least know there are possible major issues with this branch

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mcadamsd,

I think I have the right Rebecca in 1851 and 1881 and she gives her place of birth as St Olaves Surrey. There are several Shaw families being baptised at St Olaves and Southwark in that period, not one for a Rebecca that I can see. Again I have to question if your Rebecca is the one baptised at Shoreditch to Michael and Catherine. Other than her year of birth matching that baptism do you have anything else that connects her? Other family members living with her? Is she mentioned in any family wills? Is she a witness at any siblings weddings as Barnard?

I am going away for a couple of days but will have a look when I get back as I know how frustrating it can be to find out that you have been following the wrong path and will look for something to show you have the right Rebecca, although that may be something you may never be sure of.

As always, take public trees with a large grain of salt.

Kind regards, Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 March 18 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Back again.... :)

Burials at St Leonard Shoreditch
Michael Shaw, of Kingsland Road, buried 30 Nov 1835, aged 62 (1773)
Michael Shaw, of Kingsland Road, buried 21 Dec 1835, aged 40 (1795)
Catherine Shaw of Kingsland Road, buried 3 Dec 1815, aged 49 (1766)
Also...
Robert Shaw, of Kingsland Road, buried 8 May 1823, aged 54 (1769)
Sarah Shaw of Kingsland Road, buried 2 Aug 1830, aged 73 (1757)

If the will found was for Michael Junior then a possible daughter Rebecca would be aged well under 21, the funds would be left in the care of a trustee and she would not be the executrix.
This leads me to believe that it refers to Rebecca, unmarried (in 1835) daughter of Michael and Catherine.

Also....
There is a Rebecca Shaw living at High Street Hoxton, aged 34 (ages are rounded down in the 1841 census), born in county, of independent means, living at the same address as Charlotte and Mark Hayes and children.

Unfortunately your Rebecca may not have been baptised, or it may be a nonconformist or Catholic record that is not available online.

Searching for possible siblings by following the census and marriage records of Shaw children born in St Olave and Southwark may be a possible lead, also reading any Shaw wills published in the Middlesex area.

Sorry that I couldn't offer a more positive resolution, especially as you appear to have invested a lot of time and effort on the Michael and Catherine line.

Best wishes, Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 March 18 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca Shaw, born 1807 Islington is still living with sister Charlotte Hayes in 1851. This Rebecca and Charlotte appear to be the daughters of Charles and Ann, baptised in Islington.

Sipthorpe - Lancashire