Author Topic: Samuel WALKER buried Hull, York 1827  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel WALKER buried Hull, York 1827
« on: Monday 19 March 18 06:49 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch shows that a Samuel Walker was buried on 22 April 1827, Hull (Holy Trinity?), York, England.  A fellow researcher has told me that this Samuel was 27 years of age (source not known) but could not provide any additional information, ie occupation.

There is also a marriage for a Samuel Walker (b c1799) who married Mary SALTWELL on 28 September 1820 at Sculcoates.  I do know that this Samuel was a Mariner from the parish marriage record.

Samuel and Mary had two children, William born in 1820 (married Helen/Ellen SPENCELY 1842) and Harriet born in 1825 (married Daniel LISSETER in 1850).  Mary Walker nee Saltwell remarried to a William HARRISON in 1828.  Mary died in 1876 and was buried at Sculcoates on 6 April age 73 years.

Is the Samuel Walker who was buried in 1827 a Mariner, as this would help to determine whether they are the same person?

Any assistance appreciated.

WNW

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel WALKER buried Hull, York 1827
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 18 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Walker's burial record is on F M P but sadly the image gives no occupation - just his age and residence - Hull

Kay

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 18 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay for checking.

I wonder if there is a headstone in the cemetery, whether it might give additional information - if this still exists?

WNW

Offline keeperofthematrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that an occupation might be listed on his headstone, but having photographed lots of headstones for my own tree I would say that it's  unlikely. I've yet to find any stone that mentions an occupation.

The graves and headstones in the burial ground will be moved at some point in the near future due to road improvements.

Information about previous work below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hulls-rich-history-uncovered-at-burial-ground

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.com/he/a63-castle-street-improvements/supporting_documents/N160271_A63%20Castle%20Street_Investigating_Archaeology.pdf

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Keeperofthematrix for your posting.
The first link no longer has information, however the second link makes very interesting reading.
If there was a headstone and it still exists it may provide the details of his wife and any children?
I shall keep looking.
Cheers
WNW

Offline keeperofthematrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I work in Hull city centre but have quite a full schedule between now and Easter.

I have a monthly lunch with friends on the first Tuesday of each month and the venue is quite close to the hull history centre. I can pop in and check the memorial inscription booklets on Tuesday 3 April if you'd like.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I think there is quite an active history group based at Holy Trinity - at least there was when I visited some years ago and they were very eager to help with research.

It may be worth googling and then emailing your query in the hope that someone might help.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
This site was excavated for regeneration for the City of Culture and is now a paved area:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-humber-36785469/hull-holy-trinity-church-exhumation-reveals-city-s-history

It is now called Hull Minster and the graveyard is no longer there:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/hulls-new-posh-puddles-make-

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/4a6223f8-7cca-4ac0-b3c8-46f23c046790

Carol

Parish records are also held at the Treasure House in Beverley:

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU