Author Topic: Confused  (Read 636 times)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confused
« on: Monday 19 March 18 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm coming back to these people to try and see whether I can solve it...
Frederick Janvrin Vincent (b.1851 Leamington) is my GGGreat Uncle and he married Emily Robinson Williams 29 Jan 1872 in Everton, St George.
Frederick Janvrin Vincent then marries again in Trinity Church, Christchurch, New Zealand to Laura Tregeagle, in January 1875.
Emily Robinson Williams' father is Lewis Williams, she was born sometime between 1847 and 1851, there are conflicting records... but not entirely sure of dob, the most logical is the record of baptism in Caernarvon 25 Oct 1848.
The original marriage is 100% because it lists my GGG Grandfather Frederick Augustus Vincent, clerk in orders as well. Having Janvrin (Jersey name) Vincent also narrows things down.
Frederick Janvrin does end up over in the USA, Salt Lake then in the end in San Fran. They were a religious lot so I think the New Zealand trip was probably missionary work.
The problem I have is... what happens to Emily Robinson Williams... there is a widow, Emily Vincent marries again in 1875 in Everton again... to a Gowan
No divorce record I can find, perhaps someone can help on that. I don't have the marriage cert for NZ so I don't know what marital status it was for FJ Vincent on the 1875 marriage.
Just a bit strange.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Unless they were very wealthy there won't be any divorce records.  More likely the couple separated, Frederick went abroad and re-married and meanwhile Emily re-married in England.  No-one would have asked for a death cert to prove her previous husband was dead.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 18 14:39 GMT (UK) »
The US census returns are interesting

in 1900 he was born 1853 in France with French father

in 1910 he was born 1850 in England with French father

definitely the same family in each census

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, got to love the inconsistencies... his father was Jersey born and bred but headed over to the mainland to teach... Leamington College, Batley Grammar, and then Stafford. FJ Vincent had two uncles who were also vicars, one Head at Norwich School, and his aunt the Head at Casterton. Lots of Church, hence why I think he went to Salt Lake and Utah.