Author Topic: baby in the bushes  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
baby in the bushes
« on: Monday 19 March 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
What a marvellous result for the lady who was 'The baby in the bushes'

Has anyone else read it ??

Wonderful  and for 81 years old !??? she looks fantastic.

left to die --- surely -- 9 months old - hands tied - and hidden deep amongst the bushes -

Luckily she was found and had a good life.

She has now found her family ...............
But how must she feel.

On the one hand she is pleased to be able to tell her great grandchildren their roots.

But the realisation that these people - 'discarded' her.   

Has she found a GOOD reason for that.

A wonderfully scary result.

but she sure looks bloomin great.

xin

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: baby in the bushes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Xin,

The story can be read here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-43420678 on the BBC website.

An sad story, but incredible how, using DNA, they were able to find her parents. after 80 years.

Judy  :)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
What an incredible story!!  This is amazing that she was able to discover both parents - thanks to DNA testing. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow just read the story. Made me want to have a go at this DNA way of researching my family.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Wow just read the story. Made me want to have a go at this DNA way of researching my family.

WELL as a bit of a warning READ it all again, the in depth research that was done for this lady - was absolutely WOW and it came to brilliant results..   BUT  how many of us have --- that envelope --- with that stamp. 

Its not an easy path and I bet its expensive..

Yep it sure does seem worthwhile, but I would never consider it the easy option.

My DNA results, have added a lot of good points yes, but I am not 'DNA-- knowledgeable enough' and not time to become so. 

now this is full of spelling errors.. -did not type the word b..l..i..m..e..y.. it is one of my pet hates, cannot remember now what i put, maybe fgs   and predictive text changed it.. so if that word is there again after 'maybe'  then i will know...

xin

tg for spell checkers  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I read this lady's story on the BBC News website earlier today and found it fascinating, and also hugely shocking that anyone would abandon a little mite in the wilderness with her wrists tied together.  I shudder to think what the motives were, but how fortunate that her cries were heard and she was rescued.

And I agree with Xin - she looks fantastic for 81 and it's great to see her looking so happy now she has answers to questions which have dogged her all her life.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 18 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Maybe I misunderstood/misread the story, however her mother either left the child herself and then got on with her life or the child was snatched, sold or 'whatever'.

If this child was snatched it would have been reported as such...if sold or the mother left her, it would not have been reported...... am I missing something?
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
How spooky that her birth middle name was Veronica, the name of the daughter her adoptive parents had lost.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure this story was shown on a BBC programme called Familyfinders or something similar (before the identity of the father was known).  I remember recording the programmes (shown on daytime TV) and watching them in the evenings.