Author Topic: Software for a family tree  (Read 1867 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Software for a family tree
« on: Monday 19 March 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon - enquiring for a friend

She has been using free online family tree software, My Heritage,  but there is a limit to the number of people and she is nearly there if she wants to put more on there is a cost of £4.75 per month but all that gives you is the facility to add people. - does anyone have another suggestion ? She generally uses her ipad.

She doesn't want to enrol onto the big two at the moment so I was a bit stuck as to suggestion so I immediately thought of asking on here..........any suggestions ?

Thank you very much

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Software for a family tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I, and several members of my wider family, use Brothers Keeper. It is not an on-line "cloud" system, the data remains on your home computer, but it does everything a good FT program should.You can download a free trial copy from http://www.bkwin.org/  and register it for a one-off charge of US$45 once you are satisfied that it is what you want. There are no further charges and all upgrades are free.
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline F1fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi nestagj,

If using an iPad, how about using the Family Search free online tree ?

All you have to do is register an account and then you can add as many people as you want and there is quite a lot of information that is free, although some bits you have to pay to view images that are held by the big three.

There is also an app for android or ipad, that links to your account so you can use that sometimes instead of going onto the website.

Once a tree is created it can always be downloaded into Legacy Family Tree, Rootsmagic or other software to carry on from there if you don't wish to do it all online and have a PC :)
Sawyer, Rutty - Wiltshire
Double - Suffolk
Templeman - Nottinghamshire
Senior, Blakeb(o)rough - Yorkshire

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Don't My Heritage still have a free download of their programme "Family Tree Builder" available?
I have had one on my computer since 2010 and updates are still available. There is no limit to entries, it can sync. (optional, I no longer bother as I am approaching limit) but on line tree is limited to 250 unless you pay to upgrade.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline SilverGrowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 01:43 BST (UK) »
I'm currently using ancestral Quest basics (free) which seems adequate and runs on my windows computer. Theres an enhanced paid for version but I use this as I starte to use this at it was recommended by familyserach.org whic I used to get a basic family tree.

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 April 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
I cannot recommend ZoomPast too highly and it would be ideal for the purposes of your friend! 

It's Free.  It can upload existing trees via GedComm.  I know of someone who has uploaded nearly 20,000 meticulously researched individuals (none copied from other people's trees)!  It accepts photographs and copious notes.  Best of all it can be shared with anyone individually who you want to share it with and you can choose whether to let them edit it or not.  It also has online tutorials to get you started.

www.zoompast.com

This is the software I recommend to members of the U3A group I help to run.

I hope that this helps!

Malcolm
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline SilverGrowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
zoompast looks interesting but isn't for me as I have no intention of putting my family details on line. There doesn't appear to be any downloadable software for me to use locally. I hadn't picked up the online aspect of the original requirements. How secure is the information put into zoomfast and how will it be used would be my first question.   

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
Have you considered Family Historian?. Gives you a month free trial to see if you like it first. Costs about £36 if you want to continue. I've used it for years on my computer and it gives you everything you would ever want in a genealogy programme. To be honest if you want to put alot of information into your tree then it is well worth buying one of these standalone programs so you are not obliged to put information on line and have to pay ongoing subscription charges Jackie
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
I use the online site, Tribalpages. There is a free option, plus paid ones that allow more photos, notes, and extra data.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.