Author Topic: SOLVED - Place name in Tannadice Parish - Dierachy?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SOLVED - Place name in Tannadice Parish - Dierachy?
« on: Monday 19 March 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Needing some more help please. I'm looking for what the place name is that Daniel Mackenzie and family are living at in 1891. I've attached a clipping of the image.

A subscription site has this transcribed as "Dierachy Cottage". I'm unsure on the Dierachy part.

Tried working out the place named below Dierachy but couldn't narrow it down with that either as can't tell what it is. I've tried googling "Dierachy" and other similar spellings and couldn't seem to get anywhere on Scotland's Places either.

The family are only at this location once out of all the censuses, so can't confirm it with any other years unfortunately.

Any help on this one appreciated.

Liv.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researcher in the Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Place name in Tannadice Parish - Dierachy?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 March 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Liviani,

The place name is Derachy and it can be found on the OS Maps: http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426903. If you look towards the bottom and middle of the map it there near Soutra.

Hannah
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Liviani,

The place name is Derachy and it can be found on the OS Maps: http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426903. If you look towards the bottom and middle of the map it there near Soutra.

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Found it at the bottom thanks! Soutra will be the other place in the census! Great, thank you.

Also it is on https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/forfarshire-angus-os-name-books-1857-1861/forfar-angus-volume-82/67 and here https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/forfarshire-angus-os-name-books-1857-1861/forfar-angus-volume-82?display=transcription.

Hannah

Also thank you for these. Brilliant.

SOLVED

Liv.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
NLS maps is a great place for finding names. They have digital copies of all the OS Maps.

Hannah

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED - Place name in Tannadice Parish - Dierachy?
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie