Author Topic: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa  (Read 3852 times)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Well, as it turns out, I'm going on vacation to England mid June,  and thought of spending a few days in the area where my paternal lineage is from.  Incredibly, I found a Air BandB right in the center of my search area,  Kilham, UK. 

Here is my question to you: What are the possibilities of finding out what parcel of land my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa came from, and more importantly, how to go about it?
 The only definite document i have, other than those that I have dug up via research at Ancestry.ca) is his prorate that I purchased.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ABSUlx9wEt_eESU&cid=8CC4D18B45EBC227&id=8CC4D18B45EBC227%217412&parId=8CC4D18B45EBC227%217060&o=OneUp   

I am positive this is the same John Pinder that is in my family tree. It's content matches up with the correct names of his son's and daughters, as well as his son-in-law which married Mary Pinder, Stephen Bennison.  The problem is of course, it details much of what is being willed to whom, but not where this property is.

Herein is what I know about John Pinder.
May have been born & Baptized on the 29th July in Snaith, Yorkshire .
Documents have him as John Pindar).

Married 11 Dec. in Kilham to Jane Beilby (1725-1804)
Had three sons & 3 daughters;
John     (1749-1843) Named in will as an executor. Also named as the eldest son in the Will
William (1752-1826) Named in will as an executor
Robert (1758-1830)
Mary    (1760-1844) Married Stephen Bennison named in Will)
Jane     (1761-1796)
Ann     (1765-1766)

This is what I know, or have been able to research so far.
Is there any way I could figure out exactly where in Kilham their farm  might have been?
I understand that Kilham was a parish, am I correct ? It might not necessarily referring to the village, but I would expect it to be in the immediate area, no?

Anyways, would love any assistance in this matter!

Thanks in advance,

Stephen Pinder

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Kilham was in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
So it's probably best to start at the East Riding Archives?
They are at Treasure House, Champney Road, Beverley.
http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/leisure/archives-family-and-local-history/visiting-us/

It's about 26 miles from Beverley to Kilham.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Some thoughts.

Have you seen all the baptisms and burial entries in the actual parish register?
It might only state of 'Kilham', but you might just strike lucky with some other detail.
Familysearch have them here https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/558427?availability=Family%20History%20Library
You should be able to view them - you need to register with an account (free and painless!).

Have you found the son John, born 1749, died 1843 in the 1841 Census? It may give you where he was living. As eldest son he may have inherited the family home.

I see there are searchable Land Tax records for West Yorkshire on-line, but can't find any for East Yorkshire (a very quick search - you may like to dig a bit deeper). Perhaps this is one of the things you could find out at East Riding Archives.
They have an on-line catalogue you might like to search
http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/leisure/archives-family-and-local-history/online-catalogue/

Good luck! and enjoy Yorkshire  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
It is some distance from Snaith to Kilham - do you know why he moved?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
I always find genuki is a very good site to look at especially if you don't know the area you are hoping to research
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Kilham
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Goldie, that you should try to view originals of all bmds as you may find they give the abode or address at the time.

Maybe tithe maps?  :-\

A related thread here, which may provide some background information:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=773257.0

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Quickly skimmed that thread - no proof that he was the man baptised or born in Snaith.

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help. Definitely a lot to go with. I wish I had more time to spend in and around Kilham so I'm going to have to do as much research before getting to the East Riding Archives in Beverly. (Actually, that is also where my Great-Great grandfather (Stephen Pinder - 1803-1882)  married his wife, Mary Ann Coulson (1806-1886) in 1835 . This will help enormously. Chempat, you are correct.. His birth in Snaith is far from certain. Pinning down his place and date of birth has been elusive..  Regarding a Wills, that is another step I need to investigate. The land was passed down to the elder son, John Pinder (1749-1843). He in turn had a son, Stephen (1803-1882), his eldest. Stephen emigrated to Canada.. maybe he inherited, or maybe he didn't .  Where do you suggest I go to search for Wills and probates for the Kilham region?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
The land was passed down to the elder son, John Pinder (1749-1843).

Where did John die? I can't find anyone of correct age on GRO index (covering England and Wales) who died around 1843 nor can I find a John Pinder in his nineties on the 1841 census.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott