Author Topic: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa  (Read 3877 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has images of parish registers from Kilham and some BTs, but you would need a sub. It has some transcripts of marriage licences.
There is a burial of a Jonathan Pinder yeoman in Kilham in 1742 and I have come across a Jonathan Pinder jnr in Burton Agnes, but he and his wife Elizabeth don't seem to have a son John. They had a Jonathan in 1720 but he died in 1721

added
 Jonathan P was buried 3 May 1742 and Elizabeth Pinder widow married Thomas Raine of Rudston in November 1742. Could she be Jonathan's widow and the couple who were baptising children in the 1720's in Burton Agnes?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
The Sharp branch is indeed a sad story. Kind of reminds you how difficult they had it back then.

Right now, I really want to concentrate on what and where that family farm is. I want to plant my feet in the soil (present owners permitting) and say "I'm home"    :)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Looks like what you need will be at Beverley

DDX2003/8/1-55

including

Item
Finding No   DDX2003/8/12
Extent   1 item
Title   Declaration of Matthew Lamplugh of Kilham, yeoman
Date   5 Apr 1855
Description   He declares that he is 82 years of age and has resided in Kilham all his life. He is well acquainted with the farmhouse and farm at Kilham containing 127 acres, recently agreed to be sold by Miss Newton to William Lamplugh, and occupied by George Hardy. The first owner he can remember was Foord Newton, then Isaac Newton, then William Newton who took the name Watson, and then his sister Jane Newton. Christopher Lamplugh was a cousin of my late father, was the first tenant he can remember, then John Pinder, then William Newton and then George Hardy, who has been the occupier for 35 years. Believes that Christopher Lamplugh was tenant of the farm at the time of the Kilham Inclosure.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
And this should be more than enough

zDDX2003 - BLAKESTONS, SOLICITORS, DRIFFIELD, RECORDS
8 - Farm at Kilham, deeds
Level   Item
Finding No   DDX2003/8/15
Extent   1 item
Title   Abstract of title of Miss Jane Newton to an estate at Kilham contracted to be sold to Mr William Lamplugh
Date   1855
Description   Contains details of transactions 1633-1855
AccessStatus   Open
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
censuses often give sizes of farms - 127 acres might be a clue to finding it.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
1851 2366/612/3

George Hardy is a farmer of 150 acres - address West Street, Kilham

All farms seem to just have West Street as an address. The map posted earlier shows this also.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
including Matthew Lamplugh jnr farmer of 320 acres. Matthew Lamplugh snr who was 82 in 1855 lived on Middle street next to George pinder (tailor)

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Woah .. do I ever have questions!
 Sorry, but I'm out of my water here...
- Stevie, when you say "Looks like what you need will be at Beverley" followed by "DDX2003/8/1-55
& DDX2003/8/12"  I'm assuming you are referring to records  at the Treasure House, Champney Road, Beverley?  The numbers are specific file or documents? 
-How in the world did you access them so quick??  You live in their basement :)

So, John Pinder was never the owner of the land, just a tenant?   In 1855 it was owned by a Miss Newton and sold to a William Lamplugh? .
So John Pinder was replaced as a tenant by... William Newton?  Bit confused here.

- By figuring out if John Hardy sold the land, or kept it in his family, I could locate the property?

- Lizzie, given your last entry.. the farm, or at least the farm house should be near Middle Street?
There is a George Pinder that I know of.. That would be the son of John Pinder & Alice Leadley . He was born in 1821 D 1887. The 1861 has him as a "Master Tailor"  And wouldn't you know it.. the address is very difficult to read.. I'm thinking it says Baptist Lane, but I might be way off
And in the 1871 census, If I have the right one, he's living in Southcoates, district 5. Occupation is listed as Tailor. In 1881 he's still in Southcoates, lisited as a grocer and tailor. Anyways, i'm getting sidetracked with George here..