Author Topic: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa  (Read 3851 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to guess not but who knows. To me it looks as though there's some kind of dispute and this is a witness statement

No not all the docs will reference John Pinder but remember your focus - the Lamplugh document pinpoints this as his farm and all it needs is one of the other docs to have a map e.g. the title deeds and then you can confidently visit the exact spot where he lived and breathed
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What are the odds of me being able to find what was my Great-Great-Great-Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
BTW I'm hoping it will turn out to be the AirBnB place you're staying at.

How cool would that be??

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:06 GMT (UK) »
BTW I'm hoping it will turn out to be the AirBnB place you're staying at.

How cool would that be??

VERY cool!  ;D
Stranger things have happened ............
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
If I do find it, I do not think I will have to travel far.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=8CC4D18B45EBC227&id=8CC4D18B45EBC227%217587&parId=8CC4D18B45EBC227%215146&o=OneUp

I've already picked out the containers I will use to bring back a little bit of farm earth !   ;)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
There is no if but when.

I don't know how busy they are in Beverley but I'd bet money they'll be able to help you get to the right place if you have difficulty in locating it in the documents yourself

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I've tracked down a William Lamplugh. Seems to be married to a Margaret Danby. According to the 1851 census (Kilham, District 11a)  he was approximately 61 years old, and If I read the "Rank, Profession or Occupation" entry correctly, he has 1,040 acres and employed 12 laborers. That's a lot of land! I'm hoping it's one large parcel.  Still hunting .. will keep you posted.

Edit:
Man, these Lamplough's owned half of the county!  Browsing through the 1851 census and there is:
- Matthew -77 (farmer),
- Matthew - 45 (Farmer w 330 acres and 10 labourers, 
- Samuel - 30, Farmer 900 acres . Oh, and also employ's an Elizabeth Pinder (25) she is the daughter of John Pinder (1802-1842) & Alice Leadey (1802-1884) . (John being the son of John Pinder (1749-1843) & Mary Clark.
- Elizabeth- 66 Head of family
- James 28 Druggist and grocer ..
  And a few more.. all dwelling between 87 and 115 Middle Street.

And this is a different branch of the Lamplough family from William, who in 1851 has 1,040 acres !

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 March 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Another piece of the puzzle. Feels like for every door I open, it's a room with another 5 doors.
Anyways, this seems to be the Will of William Watson dated Jan 1781. Not sure if it's the same William ( Newton) Watson mentioned in the Declaration of Matthew Lamplugh of Kilham, yeoman:
Finding No   DDX2003/8/12 .   Below, you will see there is a mention of a Jane Pinder. Could this be Jane (Beilby) Pinder, wife of John Pinder ?   The dates aren't right.. John would still be alive at that time, so why mention Jane Pinder and not him? But it gives a very good description of where the land is situated.

Level   Item
Finding No   DDX2003/10/1
Extent   1 item
Title   Copy probate of the will and codicil of William Watson of Kilham, yeoman
Date   [31 Jul 1779]
Description   Will dated 31 Jul 1779 Probate dated 2 Jan 1781 Bequests: My dwellinghouses and closes lying on south side of Kilham called Beck Closes or Lands and Clay Pit Close or Crosdale Dykes containing 59 acres farmed by Mathew Milner now occupied Peter Berriman in trust to Esther Watson, wife, until daughter Mary Watson reaches 21 years of age; then low room chamber and garret at east end of my house, which was occupied by Mars Cass and since by Jane Pinder, also one feather bed , bedding and furniture, 4 chairs, tea table, 2 large pewter dishes, 6 silver tea spoons marked 'S W', and an annuity of £10 to Esther Watson, wife; interest on £100 owed to Mary Rafton of Folkton, widow Witnesses: M Atkinson, E Ibbitson, Adam Ibbotson Codicil dated 21 Aug 1780 If his daughter should die before 21 years the property is bequeathed to Esther Watson, his wife

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 March 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Could be Jane Pinder the daughter. It doesn't say she was the tenant in 1779 when wiil was written, only that she was after Mars Cass. Jane married on 29 Dec 1774, but she could have been occupier before marriage
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline StephenCND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 23 March 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it isn't the daughter.   She married a Richard Gibson in 1774 (at 13  :o )
Might be a different Jane Pinder altogether. There seem to be a lot of them around back then.