Author Topic: Robert John Cunningham born c.1781 Lanark  (Read 1008 times)

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Robert John Cunningham born c.1781 Lanark
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for details of a Robert (John?) Cunningham born around 1781 in Glasgow/Lanark. He was in the army from 1797-1818 in the Royal Artillery Drivers. On discharge he moved south and ended up in Sussex. He married Elizabeth??? from Singleton, Sussex. I have the family from Robert onwards but have been unable to trace Robert's parents and/or siblings. Any help would be much appreciated  :)

Thanks
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Robert John Cunningham born c.1781 Lanark
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
The BVRI has only one entry that matches the details but there is insufficient information to be certain

Robert CUNNINGHAM,   Male
   DoB:   1 Jul 1783   
   Christening Date:   6 Jul 1783   Recorded in:   Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, Scotland
   Father:   Alexander CUNNINGHAM
   Mother:   Isobel MUIRHEAD
Source:   FHL Film 102891 +    Dates:   1741 - 1819

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert John Cunningham born c.1781 Lanark
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 05 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking that up for me - I know there's not much to go on! Robert's birthdate seems to have changed every census so 1783 isn't out of the question. I'll certainly keep this info, and try to corroborate it at a later date.

Thanks again.
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk