Author Topic: Durham University Special Collections visit at Palace Green  (Read 723 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Durham University Special Collections visit at Palace Green
« on: Tuesday 20 March 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
My last visit was about 13 years ago and a lot has changed.

Has anyone been there recently who knows the ropes? ID required I presume? Parking or park and ride then the bus? And where to eat lunch or take sandwiches?

Coming from the Newcastle direction, any help would be great.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham University Special Collections visit at Palace Green
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Can't help, but I am green with envy as I'd love to visit.

If you have been, hope you found what you were after :-)

Boo

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Going this week. Hope to find something interesting. If not I'll go off for a ramble around the cathedral or the castle.

Durham's a lovely place and circumstances mean I'll see a lot of it in the coming 18months!

Gen
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Online 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
I stayed a month at Durham Castle about 10 years ago.  There is a smallish parking area near the castle.  I think you have to pay to get out.  There is some sort of post that comes up out of the road that prevents you from leaving without paying I think.  I didn't have a car and would walk down the hill. There are some sandwich type shops along the way.  The town square has a bit to see also.

I would take my lunch, sit on a bench on the palace green and look at the Cathedral if the weather is cooperating. 

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 18 20:32 BST (UK) »
Two cafes by Palace Green and also crypt café in Cathedral. Many more as you walk up from Market Place. No parking on the Peninsula. We park by Durham School on the other side of the river, cross by Prebends Bridge and walk up the hill. Parking meters, but not too expensive. Or walk up the hill from the bus station -cross bridge then pretty route going up from river bank trough the trees. Haven't been to look at archives for a year or two. I rang up to say I was coming and took ID.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janice and Geordie Mag
I've also stayed at Durham Castle but even longer ago.

Because of the restrictions on driving around the old town, we are taking the Park and Ride from the north of the city, then the Cathedral bus, longer but free:-)

Last time I was there was 15 years ago but someone's told me there is a good refectory in the cathedral which is handy. Mag also knows about it!

So I'm looking forward to it, its just down the road but I hardly ever go there!

Gen