Author Topic: Alex'r Nicholson shoemaker Edinburgh & Glasgow  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alex'r Nicholson shoemaker Edinburgh & Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Nicholson did indeed die Anderston - shown 51 - died 5/1/1884 at 67 Elliot Street, Glasgow - shoemaker - married to Jane Dempster.    He died of Bronchitis  2 months, informant his widow Jane.   His parents are shown as John Nicholson, tailor, and Elizabeth McLune (?hard to read), both deceased.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 06:51 GMT (UK) »
That is fantastic - thankyou  :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Made me think that he died not at home and maybe death registered in two areas.
This does worry me slightly.

Bisset-Smith's Vital Registration says, "The practical rule is that all deaths are registered in the parish or district in which they occurred, irrespective of their residence".

Unlike births, where the law provided that a child born in a district other than that where the parents normally lived should be registered in the both the district of birth and the district of the parents' residence, there was no provision for the same to be done when someone died in a district other than that of their residence. (I know, it seems very illogical that out-of-district births were to be registered twice, but not out-of-district deaths!)

Therefore, assuming both Registrars were following the procedures laid down, there should never be two registrations of the same death.

However these do look almost identical - both registered in the very first few days of 1884. Has anyone looked at the Kelvin one?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.