Author Topic: How do I find ww2 service number  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How do I find ww2 service number
« on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
My husband's father, William Thomas Charles Moore, served in ww2 but died in 1965. Hubby's Mum would never talk about his dad as she remarried and he has no info about his dad. Mum passed away last year so no chance of getting her to talk.
Is there any way we can find out what his service number was to see if there are any service records available for him. His details are:
William Thomas Charles Moore, born 1918 in Leighton Buzzard, died 1965 in Buckinghamshire. I can find birth marriage and death records but am at a loss with this one (and my FH research skills are a bit rusty after a number of years away)
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find ww2 service number
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, all military records for personnel who served in the army after about 1921 are held by the ministry of defence, and no where else, the link below explains what you need to do, you may have to have his service number tho'

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Frank.

Added, does your hubby have anything which belonged to his dad, medals, etc which may have his number on, judging by what you have said I guess the answer is no, but it was just a thought.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, we do not have anything only his name and DOB/DOD. We keep getting stuck on the service number. I'm not sure they will have a lot but it'd be great if I could find out something for hubby.

Thank you again

Dinie
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
No problem Dinie, I'm sure someone else will be along to offer more advice  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
You don't need a service number! ;D

THE form asks for EITHER a service number OR a date of birth.

I have applied for service records without having a service number ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
You don't need a service number.................................................................................................

That's good to know, and helps me a lot  ;D did you have a favourable result KG?

Frank.

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
ooh Thanks KG, I'll have to look into that further

Dinie

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
You don't need a service number.................................................................................................

That's good to know, and helps me a lot  ;D did you have a favourable result KG?

Frank.

I have favourable resultS (plural  ;D).
Army, Navy and Air Force.

Don't remember having a service number for any of them?

One word of caution: These records really aren't available anywhere else!
You'll probably need a Death Certificate (unless the person died in Service).
And it will cost you £30 (Unless the spouse applies).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi KG

Spouse remarried shortly after his death in 1966 and she passed away last year. Closest living relatives are my husband and his brother & sister so hopefully can apply as next of kin.

I'm not expecting to get very much but would be nice for hubby to have something about his dad. Have applied for both birth and death certificates so will wait for them to arrive and then see if we can apply.

Thanks again

Dinie