Author Topic: Irish name on marriage certificate - can't recognise it from the handwriting  (Read 825 times)

Offline wotcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello

Is anyone able to help me in establishing the surname of the bride, first name 'Catharina', in the parish marriage entry I have attached?

The name seems to end with a "__ght" - possibly "_raght" but I can't make out the first letter. 

Findmypast have translated this as Bright - but the other 'B's in the register are nothing like the first letter of the brides name (see the name 'Barry' below Catharina's name.)

And it doesn't look like a letter "C" either as the 'C' in Catharina and Connell have a very pronounced loop at the base of the letter 'C', which the first letter of the surname lacks.

Thanks

Liz

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Irish name on marriage certificate - can't recognise it from the handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
My initial thought on seeing it was 'Enright'.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish name on marriage certificate - can't recognise it from the handwriting
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Enright looks good, if there is one Enright in the area there is likely to be others so it may be worth looking at other pages to see another example to confirm.

Offline wotcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Dublin1850/Sinann

I could kiss you both! I'd never have got that, especially as I misled myself by thinking the second letter was 'R'

Luckily for me, the 1911 census entry has Catherine (now a Lenihan, after her marriage, and in Swansea, Wales) giving her place of place of birth as Abbeyfeale, Limerick - which is also where her marriage to Patrick Lenihan took place. Her year of birth is recorded, on the various census returns, as 1835, 1846 and 1834.  There are (from Findmypast) many Enright's being baptised in Limerick around this time - so you are both spot on!

Although Findmypast does not list a baptism Catherine Enright in Abbetfeale, I can now search the online microfilmed registers at the National Library of Ireland - looking for Catherine Enright's baptism record.

My most sincere thanks to you both for you help.

Liz