Author Topic: Sherborne Baptisms  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sherborne Baptisms
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have found that the children of one of my ancestors were baptised at the Methodist Chapel in Sherborne.  Caryl Parsons transcription on opcdorset.org gives the child's name, the parents name, the wife's parents name, then "of Sherborne", and the date of birth.

I assume that "of Sherborne" refers to the parents and their child and not the wife's parents.  And would the family have been living in the town or could they have just been visiting friends?   
Any thoughts?

Ian
Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Sherborne Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Normally when a church record says 'of Sherborne' it would mean it was their permanent residence at that time.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Rosie,

Exactly. Only trouble is that I have letters that the family had not long left Kingweston (Somerset) and would most likely soon be in Salisbury where my GGG Grandfather would take up the position of secretary to the Wilts & Dorset Bank.

Do you think there would be any sort of council record or anything else the would confirm his residence in Sherborne. British newspapers have yielded nothing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Best from DownUnder

Ian
Beaulock, Bracher, Bullock, Burgdorf, Burghard, Deans, Fryer, Hall, Hester, Hodgson, Hughes, Johnson

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
It may help if you post the names and dates of who you are talking about as someone with access to local records may be able to help you.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk