Author Topic: Maguire/Gallagher/Fitzpatrick hawkers in Yorkshire  (Read 1454 times)

Offline fhs123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maguire/Gallagher/Fitzpatrick hawkers in Yorkshire
« on: Wednesday 21 March 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I'm trying to locate a relative, who I believe was a hawker. His name was Joseph Fitzpatrick (b:1860 Leeds to Mary McEvoy and Thomas Fitzpatrick). He was a coal miner in the 1871 census and a dyer in the 1881. I can't find him in the 1891 or 1901 census. In 1911, he's in Huddersfield in a lodging house as a hawker. He dies in Huddersfield in 1924.

Apart from trying to trace him during this period, I'm also trying to trace his wife and children and to identify the link between him and the Maguire family, who were hawkers. I believe he married an Annie and they had 3 children (Thomas, b:1889?, Hugh b:1892? Annie b:1895), but I cannot find a positive birth for the three children. I am following up a possible marriage, but according to my research, if the 1887 marriage is correct, the wife dies before the younger two children could be born. Annie, the youngest child, was brought up by Winifred Maguire, who was an oil cloth hawker in the West Yorkshire area. Winifred had a son, Philip Maguire and I believe he was very successful in the fairgrounds and lived in a caravan. From letters written by Hugh's son, his father and Thomas worked with their dad Joseph on the fairgrounds and Hugh would 'take all comers' as a boxer!

I'm wondering if there's a chance that one of the Maguires was the mother to Hugh and Annie (and therefore, they'd have a different surname at birth). I don't know where the children were born. I know Joseph Fitzpatrick is around the Yorkshire area, because he makes a number of court appearances for hawking without a licience and being drunk!

I hope this isn't too garbled. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks  :D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Maguire/Gallagher/Fitzpatrick hawkers in Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Shall we continue with the other thread then?

It is difficult because this thread may specifically for the Hawkers/Travellers part of the family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fhs123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I posted the first query on the England board earlier this week. I discovered the travellers board and thought it would be wise to try there, because the issue of Joseph missing from the census for ‘91 and ‘01 could be linked to his being a hawker. The marriage and birth of his children seemed to fit better on the other board. I hope I’m not confusing anyone...apologies if I am.

Offline gypsydancer78

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, i have only just discovered this site, Annie Hizzard is my great grandmother on my mothers side!!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 October 21 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, i have only just discovered this site, Annie Hizzard is my great grandmother on my mothers side!!

Welcome to Rootschat  :)
Annie Hizzard is mentioned on the other thread.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=790111.9

fhs123 hasn’t posted since 2018 but may still receive email notifications.
Meanwhile, if you want to share or research your family please post.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fhs123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 October 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello! I’ve just seen the email notification. I thought the trail had run dry, so I’m excited to hear from you gypsydancer78. If you have any info you’d be willing to share, I’d love to find out more. I’m willing to share any info you might want. 😃